• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£7,000 day rate - how the other half live

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Being in engineering sector, best I ever managed was £40 an hour.
    I'm still in engineering, I haven't got out of bed for that sort of rate for years!
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      I'm still in engineering, I haven't got out of bed for that sort of rate for years!

proper engineering with lathes?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        proper engineering with lathes?
        I wish... would be more interesting than writing software
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

I wish... would be more interesting than writing software
          So you're not really "in engineering" then?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            So you're not really "in engineering" then?
            Yeah ok then, I'll bite

Software engineering was a valid term last time I looked.

I usually work in the "engineering" sector (as opposed to finance or health or whatever else has software these days).

So yes... I am in engineering.

HTHBIDI
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Yeah ok then, I'll bite

Software engineering was a valid term last time I looked.

I usually work in the "engineering" sector (as opposed to finance or health or whatever else has software these days).

So yes... I am in engineering.

HTHBIDI
              Software engineer is certainly a valid term, and there's nothing wrong with calling oneself an engineer in context. However, colloquially, to say one works in "engineering" strongly implies something more akin to mechanical engineering - the kind of role that may have a protected title elsewhere.

The sector itself is broadly immaterial when it comes to contractor pay.

Not only that, but within the context of the thread it's clear nobody was talking about software engineering, so your deliberately vague input is next to useless.

Comment

Software engineer is certainly a valid term, and there's nothing wrong with calling oneself an engineer in context. However, colloquially, to say one works in "engineering" strongly implies something more akin to mechanical engineering - the kind of role that may have a protected title elsewhere.

Not only that, but within the context of the thread it's clear nobody was talking about software engineering, so your deliberately vague input is next to useless.
                Yeah ok mate, whatever.
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Yeah ok mate, whatever.
                  Salty

Comment

I quite agree....

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
                      I quite agree....
                      I typically don't.

My Software Engineering degrees are BSc & MSc and specifically not BEng & MEng. Very little of what we do in the field would be construed as being of a set of professional standards such as that required to build a bridge.

If our industry built them, they'd be falling down on a weekly basis.

Comment

Working...
                      X