• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£7,000 day rate - how the other half live

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£7,000 day rate - how the other half live

I heard at a recent client that they had some programme management consultants in at £4,000 a day.

Then a friend mentioned where he used to work at a major bank, at one point there were four consultants sitting opposite him charging £7,000 a day. The latter were from one of the big strategy houses.

What a gravy train!

I heard Freddie Starr ate someone's hamster. Must be true.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I heard Freddie Starr ate someone's hamster. Must be true.
      What, you think that’s bogus? I’m talking about senior level consultants from the likes of McKinsey, not someone who can do a bit of business analysis or coding. According to this Financial Times article, Directors at McKinsey earn between $1-3million a year.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

There are plenty of other articles about rates at the big strategy consultants that back those figures up.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        I heard at a recent client that they had some programme management consultants in at £4,000 a day.

Then a friend mentioned where he used to work at a major bank, at one point there were four consultants sitting opposite him charging £7,000 a day. The latter were from one of the big strategy houses.

What a gravy train!
        £7000 a day? INKSPE!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What a gravy train!
          if they work for a big consultancy they aren't getting £7k a day themselves.
          Comparing consultancy day rates with contractor rate is futile, depressing and utterly pointless.
          The best day rate I ever 'took' was more than twice what I can get as a one-man contractor, and that was over 20 years ago.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            if they work for a big consultancy they aren't getting £7k a day themselves.
            Comparing consultancy day rates with contractor rate is futile, depressing and utterly pointless.
            The best day rate I ever 'took' was more than twice what I can get as a one-man contractor, and that was over 20 years ago.
            I understand what you’re you’re trying to say but you’re wrong because at that level the utilisation model is different. Consulting Partners are expected to bill about 10-20% of their time. Their earnings most certainly can equate to £7k a day because the rest of their time is spent on selling and client engagement.

I’ve worked for a UK consulting firm where the most senior consulting partners were able to get annual bonuses of £1m or more. The big US strategy consulting equivalent partners can make triple that.

Comment

I understand what you’re you’re trying to say but you’re wrong because at that level the utilisation model is different. Consulting Partners are expected to bill about 10-20% of their time. Their earnings most certainly can equate to £7k a day because the rest of their time is spent on selling and client engagement.

I’ve worked for a UK consulting firm where the most senior consulting partners were able to get annual bonuses of £1m or more. The big US strategy consulting equivalent partners can make triple that.

What a gravy train!
              Can you make up your mind what you're talking about, because these things aren't all the same. If somebody works for a Consultancy then they aren't seeing a chunk of that day rate - fact. Either talk big consultancy rates, or talk one man band rates - but you can't really compare the two.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                £7000 a day? INKSPE!

My lunch costs more than that

love MF
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  My lunch costs more than that
                  Being in engineering sector, best I ever managed was £40 an hour.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Don't worry.... when hyperinflation kicks in £10k will just be enough to get a Greggs sandwich.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X