• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

reCaptcha Driving me Mad!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's a trick one that makes it harder for not only robots to access the content but useless feckwits as well..

Seems to be pretty effective.
    They also preclude access to the partially sighted – unless you are calling my 94 year old mum (who worked for 47 years, paid her taxes, raised two (contractor) sons, did her bit for king and country during WWII, and whose name is on the roll of honour at Bletchley Park along with my late father’s) a useless feckwit?

I know it’s only a first world problem, but I feel particularly strongly about these little ****ers because they have finally taken the independence of the old dear. Until now she has been able to live alone and unaided with the benefit of internet shopping but some sparky little tw@ geek at Sainsbury’s must have mentioned the word “security” in a meeting – the single word which causes all IT managers to wet their nappies spontaneously – so they added the captcha thing. Are they seriously concerned that the Russians are going to hack my mum’s shopping list? I pointed out that it is illegal to exclude on grounds of disability and they sent a whiney snivelling reply which basically says **** you, shop somewhere else (so, as a rule, I now do – well done Sainsbury’s, way to go).

They are also factually inaccurate because when they say “select all the squares with taxis”, they actually mean “select all the squares with yellow cars”.

Comment

The reasons for the Captchas is not to prevent Russians hacking you, nor is it some sinister idea brought about to annoy people. It's to stop spammers and other fraudulent malefactors from signing up.

I quite like noCaptcha although I'm interested to see how good reCaptcha V3 will actually be when it finally gets released.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Unai Emery View Post
        Anyone else?

You know the one where you have to select the squares with the traffic signs. Is it just the squares encompassing a whole sign? Do the posts count as part of the sign? Do you include the tiles where a small portion of the sign overflows?

Hardly ever works for me whatever rules I follow. And once you get it wrong it all seems to get a whole lot harder

Work of the devil....
        I had one where you have to select the squares with prostitutes
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I had one where you have to select the squares with prostitutes
          That's easy:
          Markenplein, Nieuwmarkt, Oudekerksplein & Waterlooplein

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            The reasons for the Captchas is not to prevent Russians hacking you, nor is it some sinister idea brought about to annoy people. It's to stop spammers and other fraudulent malefactors from signing up.
            Which raises the question of why they're being used on forms where an already signed-up user is logging in.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
              Hmmmm….inneresting….substituting an 'e' for an 'a'.... ...
              Chortle!

So if the CUK sign up process is enhanced to include a huge matrix of rapidly changing street images, a few with traffic signs slightly peeping out from the edges or mostly hidden by trees, and a certain sockie will be locked out forever!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Which raises the question of why they're being used on forms where an already signed-up user is logging in.
                Poorly designed, or it's on a "forgot my password" page, maybe.

Comment

I suspect incompetence in most cases

Comment

Bugger off...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      With Sainsbury's it was on the log in page so I very much suspect the "Poorly designed" option

Comment

Working...
                      X