• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET Core Real Contractor Challenge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Erm ... what’s in it for any of us to fix some performance issue you have with your search engine? Can you not hire some contractor for this?
    I am happy to hire contractor to implement it, but only if I am confident they can do it in reasonable timeframe - note that I don’t expect contractor to write assembly to make my code quicker, just to implement such ability in ipen sourced project .NET Core

P.S. I do know about current work to implement hardware intrinsics in the next version of .NET Core, having fully freedom with asm however seems a better way forward (they may never officially support it, but happy with a maintained patch)
    Last edited by AtW; 18 October 2018, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      Buy a Z13s
      8 core IBM CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Facebook used PHP, time to market matters, later they’ve spent a fair amount of money to speed it up, had they started with C/assembly they would have never finished.

Don’t expect you to understand it since you don’t run a real business...
        When did Zuckerberg post on forums, looking for freebie answers to fix a problem with facebook coding, rather than paying for a skilled resource, or upskilling an existing employee?

Facebook must not be a 'real business'
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          When did Zuckerberg post on forums, looking for freebie answers to fix a problem with facebook coding, rather than paying for a skilled resource, or upskilling an existing employee?
          I don't want a freebie answer, you moron, I want to hire quality person who can do it - looks like I am looking in the wrong place though.

Comment

I don't want a freebie answer, you moron, I want to hire quality person who can do it - looks like I am looking in the wrong place though.
            Yes, that well-known professional hiring strategy, consisting of posting a query on an anonymous internet forum, before going on to offer a particular poster a paid opportunity?

All other businesses have been going about hiring the wrong way - spread the word AtW
            Originally posted by Old Greg
            I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              Yes, that well-known professional hiring strategy, consisting of posting a query on an anonymous internet forum, before going on to offer a particular poster a paid opportunity?
              I thought it would be a perfect outside IR35 job for a qualified contractor, so I decide to give my good CUK buddies first dibs on it.

Comment

Why would somebody want to write assembly code if it was not for performance? No wonder you voted for Brexit!

Assembly code should be anything I can do in normal C/C++ - can target just x64 (no need for cross platform), but I want convenience of writing it in C# rather than having to recompile framework itself - this is again for performance reasons, of a programmer.

Assembly will only be used for functions that will be called a lot - millions of times per second.
                Well I feel motivated to help you. Sounds like you are just trying to be a billy big balls.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Well I feel motivated to help you. Sounds like you are just trying to be a billy big balls.
                  I want to hire somebody who can do the job (as intended by me, not workaround that makes no sense from performance point of view, plus complicate maintenance).

Comment

Why would somebody want to write assembly code if it was not for performance? No wonder you voted for Brexit!

Assembly code should be anything I can do in normal C/C++ - can target just x64 (no need for cross platform), but I want convenience of writing it in C# rather than having to recompile framework itself - this is again for performance reasons, of a programmer.

Assembly will only be used for functions that will be called a lot - millions of times per second.
                    Maybe you need to hire some people at your place that know what they are doing from a technical perspective.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Maybe you need to hire some people at your place that know what they are doing from a technical perspective HTH BIDI
                      This project is ideal for a contractor.

I guess skills shortages are real and I’ll have to get somebody offshore, oh well.

Comment

Working...
                      X