• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General DOOM thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General DOOM thread

Over-leveraged companies face catastrophic spike in defaults, Moody's warns

Companies are piling on debt and making themselves vulnerable to the next economic downturn, Moody's has warned.

The credit ratings agency said that covenants on leveraged loans, which are designed to protect investors from firms defaulting, had weakened to their lowest level ever seen in Europe.

Covenants lay out limits on how much more debt a company can take on.

“A tight covenant structure is good for lenders. Because it inhibits the company from taking certain actions to the detriment of lenders. A loose covenant structure is generally credit negative,” said Peter Firth of Moody’s.

Over-leveraged companies face catastrophic spike in defaults, Moody's warns

--

Get ready for the collapse!

HTH

Father

KUTITB

I've been saying this in my stock market crash thread for donkeys. The debt corporations are pilling upon themselves is bonkers. And rates will increase. Upon the moment consumers rain in their spending expect a wave of collapses. Then watch the housing market blow up like a fart in the wind.

Cheer up... new piece I'm practicing, Nuvole Bianche by the great Ludovico Einaudi, which is burning my remaining grey matter. But with a view of the sun setting over Austrian alps I really can't complain.

A picture I took the other night,

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Collapse won't happen until something like a big US bank collapses, Trump is impeached or a proper war starts somewhere.

A few billion vanishing due to a debt or private investors losing money won't affect the global economy.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Collapse won't happen until something like a big US bank collapses, Trump is impeached or a proper war starts somewhere.
        How about all 3 happening at the same time?

Comment

Treasury spreads and (real) interest rates.

This baby goes down when the Sovereigns start crumbling, the Corporate debt will just grease the velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            The collapse will occur when it is generally realised the US has $70 trillion dollars worth of debt.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              The collapse will occur when it is generally realised the US has $70 trillion dollars worth of debt.
              I don't know the answer but I'd take a punt on the UK being worse than the US. (Yesterday we were second worst to Portugal although I can't imagine how they could have been even more useless than us...)
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

It is common knowledge UK debt is over £2 trillion, not a scrap on US levels. The pound will be around long after the dollar. Everyone thinks I'm barking suggesting the dollar is going to collapse out of existence. Yet the signs are everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  It is common knowledge UK debt is over £2 trillion, not a scrap on US levels. The pound will be around long after the dollar. Everyone thinks I'm barking suggesting the dollar is going to collapse out of existence. Yet the signs are everywhere.
                  EM currencies look more vulnerable and Asian debt is eye-watering too. There's a lot more trust in US finance, just look at the capital outflows into the US if you don't believe me.

Just the least ugly in an ugly parade.

Comment

EN currencies looking bad because of US debt they've taken on. I could not use trust and US finance in the same sentence. In the last 15 years the dollar has lost 90% of its value against gold - you call that trust when the printing presses are burning that fast and furious? I call it theft.

Comment

Working...
                    X