• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well I never knew that.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I never knew that.

Operation Cherry Blossoms at Night - Wikipedia

During the last months of the war, Ishii was preparing for a long-distance attack on the United States. This operation, codenamed "Cherry Blossoms at Night", called for the use of airplanes to spread plague in the American's naval base in San Diego at night. The plan was finalized on March 26, 1945. Five of the new I-400-class long-range submarines were to be sent across the Pacific Ocean, each carrying three Aichi M6A Seiran aircraft loaded with plague-infected fleas. The submarines were to surface and launch the aircraft towards the target, either to drop the plague via balloon bombs, or to crash in enemy territory. Either way, the plague would then infect people in the area. The mission was extremely risky for the pilots and submariners, likely a one-way kamikaze mission. A pilot under the command of Ishii, Ishio Kobata, recalled the plan in 1998:
    Bubonic plague ,now I don't feel so sorry for Hiroshima. A bit like not worrying so much about bombing Dresden etc. after discovering the V1&V2 existed.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Operation Cherry Blossoms at Night - Wikipedia

Bubonic plague ,now I don't feel so sorry for Hiroshima. A bit like not worrying so much about bombing Dresden etc. after discovering the V1&V2 existed.
    Unit 731 - Wikipedia

Instead of being tried for war crimes after the war, the researchers involved in Unit 731 were secretly given immunity by the U.S. in exchange for the data they gathered through human experimentation
    Both sides as bad as each other I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Unit 731 - Wikipedia

Both sides as bad as each other I'd say.

yep.

I was just surprised at how far they would go.

World war weird is rather informative.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        yep.

I was just surprised at how far they would go.

World war weird is rather informative.
        Ain't it just.

I wonder how much the Indians would have enjoyed having them rule India if the Brits had lost.

The M9 gun director was interesting too.

I managed to confuse it with the SC-584 radar controlled gun which I'd seen something about fairly recently.

And it all goes to prove that it really is all a dream.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 October 2018, 21:23.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
        X