• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Trumpet's going to Montana

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Trumpet's going to Montana

I thought about it , once

Nice to be able to grow a moustache like that. Still stuck in Albert Steptoe mode.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thugs and bootboys.

Back in May, Republican Congressional candidate Glen Gianforte physically attacked a Guardian reporter who asked him an unwelcome question. According to a first hand account from a Fox News reporter …

Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him.

“Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of ‘I’m sick and tired of this!’ … To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte
      Gianforte subsequently pleaded guilty to assault and received a jail sentence, commuted to a fine, community service and an anger management course. He apologised to Mr Jacobs, admitting that My physical response to your legitimate question was unprofessional, unacceptable, and unlawful, and he voluntarily donated $50K to a press group.

Now, in previous times, one might have expected the president, who has the defence of the 1st amendment as part of his presidential oath, to abhor this criminal act. Not now.

Donald Trump has praised Greg Gianforte, the Congress member from Montana, for violently attacking a Guardian reporter, saying that someone who performs a body slam is “my guy”.

Trump described in glowing terms the physical assault that occurred on 24 May 2017 when Ben Jacobs, the Guardian’s political correspondent, was asking Gianforte a question about health care policy in the course of a special congressional election in Bozeman, Montana. The US president incited cheers and chants from a crowd of about 8,000 supporters on Thursday night when he said: “Greg is smart. And by the way, never wrestle him. You understand. Never.” […]

Giving his first detailed account of the Gianforte attack on Jacobs, Trump went on to tell the Missoula crowd that he had learned of the incident while he was in Rome in a gathering of world leaders. He expressed his immediate dismay.

“We endorsed Greg very early. But I heard that he body-slammed a reporter. This was the day of the election or just before, and I thought ‘Oh, this is terrible! He’s going to lose the election.’”

Trump continued: “And then I said, ‘Wait a minute, I know Montana pretty well, I think it might help him.’ And it did.”

The line prompted another massive cheer from the Montana crowd. The US president finished his account of the physical assault by saying of Gianforte: “He’s a great guy. Tough cookie.”
      I hope that's clear; beating up reporters is now not only tolerated, it is applauded.

By the president.

From 'He's my guy': Trump praises Gianforte for assault on Guardian reporter | US news | The Guardian
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

TL: DR

and dental floss features in this??

Comment

I don't think Trump is applauding the act itself. Rather he is inferring from the act a judgement as to the character of the person. This character is that the guy believes passionately in the errors of left wing journalism that he is driven to crime (the assault) when exposed to it. The crime is a bad characteristic, but the underlying passion is a very positive one.

Comment

How long until the USA try to bring "democracy" to Venezuela, since they dropped the dollar.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Will he be grabbing her by the pussy?

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                How long until the USA try to bring "democracy" to Venezuela, since they dropped the dollar.
                Is there anything in Venezuela worth nicking?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                  Is there anything in Venezuela worth nicking?
                  If history has taught us anything it is the US does not tolerate declaring war against their currency. They'll probably declare Venezuela terrorist state soon enough.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                    I don't think Trump is applauding the act itself. Rather he is inferring from the act a judgement as to the character of the person. This character is that the guy believes passionately in the errors of left wing journalism that he is driven to crime (the assault) when exposed to it. The crime is a bad characteristic, but the underlying passion is a very positive one.
                    Look at the video, Dishonest Don mimics the body slam - to cheers from the crowd.

Violence against people whose politics you dislike has been tried before - it never ends well.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X