• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Duckgogo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It's still better that your search engine. Where is your search engine by the way?
    How is it better than using the same Bing API to search directly?

This costs them money by the way, so should ask yourself how they make it back

Comment

I've been using it on my iPhone for a while now, every since Google started rolling out that terrible AMP stuff everywhere.

Comment

Lucky you posted this as made me realise summit major's gone wrong with my co website SEO. Suddenly impossible to find on that or Google.

PS Hmmm. Maybe site was down when botted. Having a lot of short outages recently due to host problems. Hope its that simple anyway.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 26 October 2018, 13:26.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I use it as my main search engine. Sometimes I have to use google when searching for tech stuff.

Comment

The search for the Google killer still goes on.....
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              The search for the Google killer still goes on.....
              Until then though....

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I use DuckDuckGo but via safari or edge, their app isn’t great.
                Results are amalgamated from yahoo, bing and google.

I prefer StartPage search, which is also high on privacy:

StartPage Web Search

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                  Results are amalgamated from yahoo, bing and google.

I prefer StartPage search, which is also high on privacy:

StartPage Web Search

As I said DDG is a META “search engine”

The APIs they use ain’t free -you have to ask yourself how they are paying for it

Might as well search on Google, because at least you don’t stand out as somebody who got something to hide...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

As I said DDG is a META “search engine”

The APIs they use ain’t free -you have to ask yourself how they are paying for it

Might as well search on Google, because at least you don’t stand out as somebody who got something to hide...
                    A ridiculous statement.
                    Privacy and freedom comes at a cost. Google and Facebook APIs invade most webpages now and I suspect it'll be disallowed in future. It's clear privacy invasion - we now know they're harvesting and using this information to a frightening extent.

DDG rely on donations and money gained from their advert links.

Any techy should be smart enough to integrate a workable TOR solution for general web-browsing, using their native connection, if not a client connection, for personal password protected content such as facebook, email and whatever else you fancy.

What may seem overkill now I believe will become more obvious in future when a single portal will reveal the extent of your footprint on the web, thanks to these intertwined APIs that mean you are fresh meat for interconnected adverts in future. Currently the physical world is somewhat sepadate from internet advertising, but in future it's likely to be connected to adverts in your car, personalised commercials on your radio and everything else imaginable as the platforms are ironed out.

We are sleepwalking into this. The above is currently in test, as can be seen from patents filed. Alexa listening to everything you do is disturbing to the extreme for privacy advocates such as myself. Within my household is private. Creativity and true freedom comes from this. Yes, dark stuff comes too from some misguided people, but they're the minority.

Comment

And how many of the tinfoil hats on here use Chrome browser whilst using DDG?

Comment

Working...
                      X