One step forward, one step back One step forward, one step back - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    But does the Koran not say that taking a nine year old wife is fine?

    And in our laws is someone who ****s a nine year old a paedo?

    So someone, somewhere is incorrect.
    There's no evidence that Mo shagged a 9 year old. What evidence there is suggests that it wasn't until she started her periods that sexual intercourse took place. Of course, the whole thing could be fiction.

    A few hundred years it wasn't unusual in some sections of society for a girl to be married as a child, and as soon as she started menstruating was available to her husband to provide an heir. There are plenty of examples of girls among European nobility getting married before their 10th birthday, and starting to produce children from about age 12 onwards. While in this day and age we find that abhorrent, back then it was a normal part of culture - not just arab, but worldwide.

    Funny - I thought you'd be against applying the standards of our age against former times. I didn't realise you're a millenial snowflake.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

  2. #22

    Super poster

    Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

    Gibbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A few hundred years it wasn't unusual in some sections of society for a girl to be married as a child, and as soon as she started menstruating was available to her husband to provide an heir. There are plenty of examples of girls among European nobility getting married before their 10th birthday, and starting to produce children from about age 12 onwards. While in this day and age we find that abhorrent, back then it was a normal part of culture - not just arab, but worldwide.
    Am I on your ignore list?
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

  3. #23

    Double Godlike!

    original PM is a fount of knowledge

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There's no evidence that Mo shagged a 9 year old. What evidence there is suggests that it wasn't until she started her periods that sexual intercourse took place. Of course, the whole thing could be fiction.

    A few hundred years it wasn't unusual in some sections of society for a girl to be married as a child, and as soon as she started menstruating was available to her husband to provide an heir. There are plenty of examples of girls among European nobility getting married before their 10th birthday, and starting to produce children from about age 12 onwards. While in this day and age we find that abhorrent, back then it was a normal part of culture - not just arab, but worldwide.

    Funny - I thought you'd be against applying the standards of our age against former times. I didn't realise you're a millenial snowflake.
    Interesting point - and no I do not think that is a good idea..

    I suppose where I was coming from is that if someone nowadays says that the teaching of 'whoever' were right and we should be allowed to therefore take child brides they should be called a peado - because they are trying to apply standards of a former age in this current one.

    Also the reason for younger breeding was mainly because they needed people to work the fields, infant death rates were high, life expectancy was short etc etc - so what is the use of a fertile woman if she is not producing the next generation - in much the same way at the time what use was a man if he was not gathering food/hunting/ defending the village.

  4. #24

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    16,765

    Default

    What about a 13 year old wife? Is that okay? Ballad of the 13-Year-Old Bride – Cuepoint – Medium

    Still exists in the USA today, that god fearing Christian country: Age of marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, can't shag her though, apparently....
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  5. #25

    Contractor Among Contractors

    NigelJK is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Thats the crux of the matter though isn't it? If you adhere to 'teachings' that are 1,000's of years old and probably manipulated by the 'powerful' over that period then you will never fit into a progressive society.

  6. #26

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There's no evidence that Mo shagged a 9 year old. What evidence there is suggests that it wasn't until she started her periods that sexual intercourse took place. Of course, the whole thing could be fiction.

    A few hundred years it wasn't unusual in some sections of society for a girl to be married as a child, and as soon as she started menstruating was available to her husband to provide an heir. There are plenty of examples of girls among European nobility getting married before their 10th birthday, and starting to produce children from about age 12 onwards. While in this day and age we find that abhorrent, back then it was a normal part of culture - not just arab, but worldwide.

    Funny - I thought you'd be against applying the standards of our age against former times. I didn't realise you're a millenial snowflake.

    By current standards & laws Muhammad had paedophilic tendencies. 60 year old & a 10 - 13 year old is still pretty weird by today's standards.

    Islam should deal with it by agreeing in modern terms it looks odd and not consider it offensive too try to understand his life in context.


    Just as Christians were once big into stoning and drowning of witches, the modern church would consider it abhorrent and denounce it. I don't expect anyone to be prosecuted for saying God liked stoning and that was wrong!

    22 Bible verses about Stoning
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  7. #27

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    What about a 13 year old wife? Is that okay? Ballad of the 13-Year-Old Bride – Cuepoint – Medium

    Still exists in the USA today, that god fearing Christian country: Age of marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, can't shag her though, apparently....

    apparently not, I suspect it would be the same now.

    The British tabloids went ballistic, and after a few dates, the tour was cancelled. Jerry Lee held a defiant press conference at the London airport, boasting about his houses and cars and accusing the British of being “just plain jealous,” and the Lewises returned home to Memphis.
    So your argument for marrying at six is that in Alaska after a judicial review a marriage licence can be issued for 14 year olds:

    A superior court judge may grant permission for a person who has reached the age of 14 but is under theage of 18 to marry and may order the licensing officer to issue the license if the judge finds, following ahearing at which the parents and minor are given the opportunity to appear and be heard, that the marriage isin the best interest of the minor
    https://www.tahirih.org/wp-content/u...ompilation.pdf

    Or In North Carolina after the horse has bolted you can close the stable door?

    ) If an unmarried female who is more than 14 years of age, but less than 16 years of age, is pregnant or hasgiven birth to a child and the unmarried female and the putative father of the child, either born or unborn,agree to marry, or if an unmarried male who is more than 14 years of age, but less than 16 years of age, is theputative father of a child, either born or unborn, and the unmarried male and the mother of the child agree tomarry, the register of deeds is authorized to issue to the parties a license to marry

    Neither seem to help your case much.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  8. #28

    Fingers like lightning

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    You will need to read this first before making such a statement

    https://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng-press#{%22itemid%22:[%22003-6234980-8105265%22]}
    I read that, and what it said is that the lady's motive in making the statements was only to malign the religion of Islam, and that this could stir up trouble with the muslims. But who are they to say what her motives were? I think a far more likely motive is that she thought the fact of Mo being a pedo might lead to some of his followers following his example in the present day. This is not a criticism of Islam directly, it is primarily a warning to the parents of non Islamic children that Muslims might pose a risk to their children. This is a public interest issue that is clearly something that should be open to debate in Austria, and accepted or rejected following that debate.

  9. #29

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth - scorchio!

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,136

    Default

    A few hundred years it wasn't unusual in some sections of society for a girl to be married as a child, and as soon as she started menstruating was available to her husband to provide an heir. There are plenty of examples of girls among European nobility getting married before their 10th birthday, and starting to produce children from about age 12 onwards. While in this day and age we find that abhorrent, back then it was a normal part of culture - not just arab, but worldwide.
    I wouldn't say that anyone who has sex with an underage girl is a paedophile as our age of consent at 16 is rather arbitrary, most girls are sexually mature well before that and some societies may reasonably set a lower age.

    Nevertheless, I don't think our law is daft. Girls may be sexually mature but are they really all mature enough to make their own decisions and cope with the consequences? I think we have moved forward in those few hundred years but many Muslim nations have not. The problem here is that we are talking about a revered religious figure whose life is seen by some as a role model whose message outranks such logical considerations. Iran and Saudi Arabia have both sought to use the saying in the Hadiths concerning Aisha's age as a justification for lowering the legal age of marriage.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 29th October 2018 at 15:43.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  10. #30

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    Am I on your ignore list?
    Oops. My apologies.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •