• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agile... is the bubble bursting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The expanded version is that the agile team should incorporate a full time representative of the people who will ultimately use the software, and the developers must turn to them both to ensure what they are planning to build is really what is required, and to confirm what they have built truly satisfies those requirements. This is perhaps the most important component of agile development, and is honoured in the observance approximately never
    Yep. A premise that gets completely fecked over as companies reduce headcount and foist multiple projects onto individuals of all skill sets.

Which takes us back to ‘hub’ working as opposed to value stream working.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      This is precisely why a true Agile team incorporates a "customer representative" (the "Customer collaboration over contract negotiation" bit) - the term "stakeholder" wasn't really part of the vernacular at the time the principles were being formulated, or it would probably have been used instead of "customer".

The expanded version is that the agile team should incorporate a full time representative of the people who will ultimately use the software, and the developers must turn to them both to ensure what they are planning to build is really what is required, and to confirm what they have built truly satisfies those requirements. This is perhaps the most important component of agile development, and is honoured in the observance approximately never
      Unfair - I worked in one team in 10 years with a customer representative. So that's about 10% of the teams I've worked on who are doing "agile".
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Define “old”

If by old you mean those that are unwilling to try or understand a different way of thinking because “what’s wrong with the old way” then yes they should be replaced by those who are willing to adapt or at least try something new. I’m not saying that the new thing should be accepted de facto but it should at least be given a chance.
        "What's wrong with the old way", is a perfectly reasonable and logical question to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by frustin View Post
          the IT circle of life.

Agile does allow you to decouple your business processes from the monolith. However businesses need to be careful that they're not mistaking agile for, get it done quick but leave a tonne of tech-debt or unmanageable IT because they dont know what it does. Businesses also need to be mindful that developers dont grow on trees and you also need someone to lead them. Also moving them on the path of the business not on the path of what they think the business should be doing.
          I hate this kinds of nonsense post. Sorry but you literally have not said anything.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            I hate this kinds of nonsense post. Sorry but you literally have not said anything.

man I don't remember posting that, maybe need to take more water with it, sorry!
            Last edited by vetran; 30 October 2018, 09:55.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              You are just pissed because he will be taking your anal cherry shortly!

bollox is the currency!
              Hah yeah I was a bit pissed off when I posted that.

Comment

Where I work

We have a new PM. He sounds like a second hand car salesman. Proper wide Essex boy.

The last release was a total sham. He then promised a "hotfix" a week later.

6 weeks later the "hotfix" is stuck in UAT. Change request follows change request ad infinitum.

He told me the other day it was just agile sprints in UAT, and he thought things were going well.

The next release (being the Brexit release) is now happening in a code fork so the other devs don't get bored twiddling their thumbs.

We are having to bunny hop code all over the place. This is his version of agile, and I think its tulip.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I put this link up on my Facebook yesterday saying dont believe the hype of Agile
                  I got a comment from a friend who happens to by an IT Manager at a large organisation:

"There is no hype...just no more 9 - 5 way of working"

...Outside of software development, more and more I see people calling flexible working the new 'Agile' environment/way of working just because they attend a stand up via skype and WFH 2 days a week!!!

Comment

Broken promise of Agile | Java Code Geeks - 2018

A bit more.....

Comment

Horses for courses; no point in using agile if your company won't accept it and is too slow to care about it.

Now, Kanban is something I can work with, especially if you're involved in fixing stuff too. You pack an Agile spring with deliverables, tulip hits the fan day two, you spent two days fixing and testing a live issue and suddenly you've no chance of delivering what's in your sprint. At least with Kanban you can just crack on with whatever's next on the list.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X