• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which one of you is this? Times report on private sector IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    My prediction: Private sector clients will blanket deem all contracts to be inside IR35 as the HR risk assessment will demand it. Some clients will increase the rate to compensate. Both as already seen in the public sector.
    The consultation response highlgihts that while there is a penalty for the end client if they make an outside declaration that is proved wrong, there is no penalty for a case where they make an inside declaration and that is wrong. There is no real right of appeal and nothing to make sure that there is a duty of care that the statute says should exist.

Perhaps the Finance Act will provide a penalty and a decent appeal mechanism to encourage companies from making those assessments. At the moment there is little incentive for clients to do things properly.
    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
      If they had asked you, they would assume we all live in Some god foresaken Swindon hell hole and keep all our money in gold bars under the bed.
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
        The consultation response highlgihts that while there is a penalty for the end client if they make an outside declaration that is proved wrong, there is no penalty for a case where they make an inside declaration and that is wrong. There is no real right of appeal and nothing to make sure that there is a duty of care that the statute says should exist.

Perhaps the Finance Act will provide a penalty and a decent appeal mechanism to encourage companies from making those assessments. At the moment there is little incentive for clients to do things properly.

No surprise if the government will only enforce a penalty where an outside determination is wrong. Same as with blanket inside determinations there will be just shoulders shrugged. Inside means they get the tax and they'll make the rules so everyone is inside one way or another.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Inside means they get the tax and they'll make the rules so everyone is inside one way or another.
          That is what concerns me. All these posts "I am alright - everyone will be caught except me" are worrying. Though expected.

Comment

Working...
          X