• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which one of you is this? Times report on private sector IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one of you is this? Times report on private sector IR35

... a 41-year-old IT contractor, says he takes home up to £80,000 per year of his £100,000 annual freelance revenue by working through a personal service company, which minimises his tax bill (David Byers writes).

Under the changes announced by the chancellor, he will have to pay far more tax on his earnings from April 2020 if he is contracting for a large or medium-sized firm. The changes bring the private sector into line with the public sector.

The contractor fears that the measures will cost him between 20 and 25 per cent a year of his take-home pay and that HMRC will ask him to repay a significant sum of underpaid tax. He says he fears “some financial difficulties”, although the Treasury stressed that the reforms were not retrospective.

He says the extra money he takes home reflects the lengthy period he is out of work each year. “I think these changes are short-sighted,” he said.
    80K takehome on 100K fees? He's using one of those avoidance schemes, isn't he!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Indeed. This announcement could be the least of his worries.

He's not going to garner much sympathy for his 'financial hardships' when he's taking 80k a year home really.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 30 October 2018, 08:22.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Of course, it could be poor journalism. One of our own was misquoted in the article.

Comment

FTOAD, I have been misquoted in this article.

The question was why I work via a ltdCo rather than self-employed.

I said that agencies would not engage with you as self-employed as they could become liable for unpaid tax. I also made the point about limited liability being essential as I did not want to be personally liable if I made a mistake.

I am very disappointed with how this has been interpreted.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          FTOAD, I have been misquoted in this article.

The question was why I work via a ltdCo rather than self-employed.

I said that agencies would not engage with you as self-employed as they could become liable for unpaid tax. I also made the point about limited liability being essential as I did not want to be personally liable if I made a mistake.

I am very disappointed with how this has been interpreted.
          Never ever talk to a journalist; they are the scum of the earth.

A former colleague had his life turned upside down due to misreporting
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Never ever talk to a journalist; they are the scum of the earth.

A former colleague had his life turned upside down due to misreporting
            Worked in newspapers for quite a while, some journalists are actually good guys if a little self important. Some are just your basic scum.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              Worked in newspapers for quite a while, some journalists are actually good guys if a little self important. Some are just your basic scum.
              Better or worse than agents?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Better or worse than moderators?
                Gratis.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

he will have to pay far more tax on his earnings from April 2020 if he is contracting for a large or medium-sized firm

What is going to constitute a large or medium sized business ?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Better or worse than agents?
                    that's a low bar, but yep better.

Comment

Working...
                    X