• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client is providing a detailed day agenda for contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client is providing a detailed day agenda for contractor

Hi forum, I need your lights as I am a new contractor.

Due to flight cancellations I was stuck in a remote location. I would VPN to the office in the next day. We held a meeting with the client manager, and he gave me a detailed to-do agenda for the next day "to make sure I don't run out of things to do since I'm remotely". He caught me off guard so I nodded.

I feel like a child being told what to do, let alone being a professional service provider. How do I prevent this from happening next time?

Talk to him?

Comment

How often do you expect your flight being cancelled?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is this the same client who thinks you are not doing any work?

If so, they are giving you specific tasks and then will be checking to make sure you have done them.

It's difficult to say much more than that because your English isn't great and it's not clear whether you were stuck away from their site for several days, if you were there as part of your work for the client, or on holiday, whether you are working for an intermediary or directly with the end client, etc.

1. Being a contractor means being given tasks to do.
        2. Being professional means delivering tasks using your ability.
        3. If you want to prevent being given tasks or using your own skills to deliver those tasks, then contracting maybe isn't for you.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
          Hi forum, I need your lights as I am a new contractor.

Due to flight cancellations I was stuck in a remote location. I would VPN to the office in the next day. We held a meeting with the client manager, and he gave me a detailed to-do agenda for the next day "to make sure I don't run out of things to do since I'm remotely". He caught me off guard so I nodded.

I feel like a child being told what to do, let alone being a professional service provider. How do I prevent this from happening next time?
          IR35 smells strong on this one. If the client (manager) feels the need to set an agenda for the day to me that is something that reeks of control and non trust as a professional. Nothing much you can do apart from talking to him/her but in a way that doesn't insult them.

You are in a tough position.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
            IR35 smells strong on this one. If the client (manager) feels the need to set an agenda for the day to me that is something that reeks of control and non trust as a professional. Nothing much you can do apart from talking to him/her but in a way that doesn't insult them.

You are in a tough position.
            Smells more like lack of trust. The OP is clearly seen, based on this and other posts, as not delivering. Stop f'ing about on forums and get delivering. Only the likes of NLUK are good enough to produce 150 post a day on here and deliver a professional working day at clientco.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

We ended up talking it through, and indeed it was the case that client felt like micro managing because of difference of perspective on the same things. The client is actually very satisfied from the services, but he was afraid that due to the lack of traction in his company, that things would not get done, so ended up micro managing.

I would advise everyone else who are rushing to conclusions to put their foot on the mouth right now and reflect on this for a second.

For the rest who did provide me with constructive feedback, I appreciate the comments, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
                We ended up talking it through, and indeed it was the case that client felt like micro managing because of difference of perspective on the same things.
                He want's work done and you aren't doing it?
                The client is actually very satisfied from the services, but he was afraid that due to the lack of traction in his company, that things would not get done, so ended up micro managing.
                Reading between the lines there I'd say he isn't very satisfied with the service then. Looks like classic sandwich feedback but inverse.
                I would advise everyone else who are rushing to conclusions to put their foot on the mouth right now and reflect on this for a second.
                Don't completely understand this statement but not sure why they should do that. Doesn't seem to prove anything. He's still afraid things won't get done. If you were good he wouldn't be afraid.
                For the rest who did provide me with constructive feedback, I appreciate the comments, thanks.
                You've done well bearing in mind this is in general. Just make sure you've bled your radiators on time.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Just make sure you've bled your radiators on time.
                  Not sure what this means.

Comment

Couple of things pee me off with certain contractors

1. They assume they can work from home when they want.
                    2. Get arse in hand when client actually ensures they're getting something for the money.

Not being funny but usually moaning and whining about things like this usually lead to a much more flexible daily agenda including jeremy kyle, cracking one off, then watching loose women (i.e. given the boot from contract).
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X