• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter tyres fitted today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Turns out winter tyres are better all year round, especially in wet climates, so not only for snow. However the performance of the car drops a few places, you notice the fuel consumption increase. Swings & roundabouts.
    I've been running one of our cars on winter tyres all year this year - past their best for the winter so just used them the rest of the time to scrub them.

Going back to all-season tyres now, used them before - yes they are a compromise but work well enough all year, better than summer tyres in the winter / winter tyres in the summer.

Very good for muddy lanes and gravel tracks all year round.
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

I've got a few spare wheels that I can swap between depending on conditions. When it's really cold I just change the front wheel for one with an ice spiker tyre on. Does the job well and not noticeably harder to pedal.

Comment

I used to have a winter and summer set of wheels on the mere but that got written off and the replacement has larger wheels. Winter tyres make a massive different on RWD. Keen to get some year round Michelin Cross Climates but haven't found them in my size yet. TPMS is an issue too.

Comment

It's 12 degrees out - pretty sure proper winter tyres perform quite badly at those temps.

Comment

not planning on driving in the fatherland anytime soon, if i'd like to visit Basel i'll go through france, ta

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I think it was 2010 when we had the really cold one - and I could not move my car mainly because there was about 2 foot of snow - not sure whether winter tyres would have made a difference.
              Probably not, but winter tyres offer better performance and handling than all-season tyres, in cold weather and with snow. Summer tyres offer better performance and handling in dry, warm weather.

Since it seldom gets that cold in the UK, or that hot, all-season tyres are the norm.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Probably not, but winter tyres offer better performance and handling than all-season tyres, in cold weather and with snow. Summer tyres offer better performance and handling in dry, warm weather.

Since it seldom gets that cold in the UK, or that hot, all-season tyres are the norm.
                mmm

I'll stick with my boggo Kwik Fit own brand and have some fun sliding round corners....

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

I think you mean "summer" tyres are the norm in the UK all year round, unless you have stats to show differently?
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Good job I got the tyres swapped in time... outside the house this morning be like:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Turns out winter tyres are better all year round, especially in wet climates, so not only for snow. However the performance of the car drops a few places, you notice the fuel consumption increase. Swings & roundabouts.
                      Not quite. Sure if you have to pick just 1 set that's not all-seasons, winter tires in the summer is better/safer than summer tiers in the winter. But winter tires are not better than summer tires during the summer (who would have thought...) Notably the weakest point of winter tiers is performance on wet surface, as they sacrifice grooves/profile optimised for water drainage, for snow gripping grooves/profile.

The other disadvantage of using winter tires in the summer is that they are wearing much faster at high temps, as the rubber is getting too soft.

Some drivers have the misconception that because large parts of the UK rarely see snow, they don't really need winter tires. They are unaware that the handling and stop distance of a general summer tire degrades in low temps, usually the break point is 7C.

Comment

Working...
                      X