Winter tyres fitted today Winter tyres fitted today - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 42

Contractor Among Contractors

Dark Black is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Turns out winter tyres are better all year round, especially in wet climates, so not only for snow. However the performance of the car drops a few places, you notice the fuel consumption increase. Swings & roundabouts.
    I've been running one of our cars on winter tyres all year this year - past their best for the winter so just used them the rest of the time to scrub them.

Going back to all-season tyres now, used them before - yes they are a compromise but work well enough all year, better than summer tyres in the winter / winter tyres in the summer.

Very good for muddy lanes and gravel tracks all year round.
    Do what thou wilt

Should post faster

jds 1981 is a permanent contractor

I've got a few spare wheels that I can swap between depending on conditions. When it's really cold I just change the front wheel for one with an ice spiker tyre on. Does the job well and not noticeably harder to pedal.

Fingers like lightning

Epiphone is too good to be a permie

I used to have a winter and summer set of wheels on the mere but that got written off and the replacement has larger wheels. Winter tyres make a massive different on RWD. Keen to get some year round Michelin Cross Climates but haven't found them in my size yet. TPMS is an issue too.

Super poster

vwdan is NOT a disguised employee

It's 12 degrees out - pretty sure proper winter tyres perform quite badly at those temps.

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

not planning on driving in the fatherland anytime soon, if i'd like to visit Basel i'll go through france, ta
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    I think it was 2010 when we had the really cold one - and I could not move my car mainly because there was about 2 foot of snow - not sure whether winter tyres would have made a difference.
    Probably not, but winter tyres offer better performance and handling than all-season tyres, in cold weather and with snow. Summer tyres offer better performance and handling in dry, warm weather.

Since it seldom gets that cold in the UK, or that hot, all-season tyres are the norm.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Probably not, but winter tyres offer better performance and handling than all-season tyres, in cold weather and with snow. Summer tyres offer better performance and handling in dry, warm weather.

Since it seldom gets that cold in the UK, or that hot, all-season tyres are the norm.
    mmm

I'll stick with my boggo Kwik Fit own brand and have some fun sliding round corners....

Dark Black is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post

I think you mean "summer" tyres are the norm in the UK all year round, unless you have stats to show differently?
    Do what thou wilt

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Good job I got the tyres swapped in time... outside the house this morning be like:

“We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

sal 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Turns out winter tyres are better all year round, especially in wet climates, so not only for snow. However the performance of the car drops a few places, you notice the fuel consumption increase. Swings & roundabouts.
    Not quite. Sure if you have to pick just 1 set that's not all-seasons, winter tires in the summer is better/safer than summer tiers in the winter. But winter tires are not better than summer tires during the summer (who would have thought...) Notably the weakest point of winter tiers is performance on wet surface, as they sacrifice grooves/profile optimised for water drainage, for snow gripping grooves/profile.

The other disadvantage of using winter tires in the summer is that they are wearing much faster at high temps, as the rubber is getting too soft.

Some drivers have the misconception that because large parts of the UK rarely see snow, they don't really need winter tires. They are unaware that the handling and stop distance of a general summer tire degrades in low temps, usually the break point is 7C.