• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter tyres fitted today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Turns out winter tyres are better all year round, especially in wet climates, so not only for snow. However the performance of the car drops a few places, you notice the fuel consumption increase. Swings & roundabouts.
    Sadly mine are only rated to 240 km/h which means you're not using the car to it's full potential
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      It's 12 degrees out - pretty sure proper winter tyres perform quite badly at those temps.
      Scooty knows better with his technical analysis charts...

Comment

Just having my all-season tyres removed and having ones with snowflake markings fitted.

Regulations for the use of winter tyres in Germany have been tightened since 1 January 2018. Put simply it means that only winter tyres or all-season tyres with the Alpine symbol (snowflake symbol) will meet the new requirements.

...the definition of a ‘tyre with winter properties’ has been modified since 1 January 2018. To meet the new requirements, a minimum tread of 4 millimetres is recommended (1.6 millimetres is mandatory but perhaps Germany will also decide, just as in Austria, to increase this to 4 millimetres), and winter or all-season tyres must have the Alpine symbol shown below.

New regulations for winter tyres in Germany | ACSI Eurocampings Blog

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

South of Munich. Some shots I took back in May believe it or not when driving back from Hintertux I think it was. The use of winter tyres make a massive difference, the snow sticks to the tyres, which gives you more confidence. Also we're required to carry snow chains if you're not driving a 4x4. So I don't carry them

And here's a shot of me in my dressing gown

that's the problem with Hintertux it's always cloudy

Milan.

Comment

yep we've got the winter wellies on now

Michelins on the A4

Pirelli's (new this season) on the Q7

and Continentals on the Passat (car was new in May)

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              that's the problem with Hintertux it's always cloudy

Milan.
              Have had good and bad days on Hintertux. Luckily only a 2-hour drive away so can more or less decide on a whim when to go. A tank of fuel + ski pass is all that's needed.

Had Pirelli's fitted this year too. Never bother with all season, think it's a bit of a false economy. The Winter tyres are very soft, I can feel it just driving around the village, like I'm on jelly. Whereas the summer tyres, it's like I'm on a railway line.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Have had good and bad days on Hintertux. Luckily only a 2-hour drive away so can more or less decide on a whim when to go. A tank of fuel + ski pass is all that's needed.

Had Pirelli's fitted this year too. Never bother with all season, think it's a bit of a false economy. The Winter tyres are very soft, I can feel it just driving around the village, like I'm on jelly. Whereas the summer tyres, it's like I'm on a railway line.
                yeah you are lucky you are so close it takes me 3 hours to get to munich alone

have you got runflats on the Cayenne and does the Cayenne have a spare wheel ?

those runflats are effing expensive and effing heavy when changing the wheels over twice a year - I do it myself rather than lose half a day going to the tyre service

Milan.

Comment

yeah you are lucky you are so close it takes me 3 hours to get to munich alone

have you got runflats on the Cayenne and does the Cayenne have a spare wheel ?
                  Yeah runflats, no spare wheel. Where the spare wheel would normally be (under the boot floor) is a base speaker thing. We keep summer and winter tyres on their own wheels, which are kept at the garage. Don't bother changing them over myself.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah runflats, no spare wheel. Where the spare wheel would normally be (under the boot floor) is a base speaker thing. We keep summer and winter tyres on their own wheels, which are kept at the garage. Don't bother changing them over myself.
                    yeah I have two sets of wheels for all cars

the Q7 has 18"s for winter and 20"s for summer, I guess the summers on the Cayenne are 21"s

Milan.

Comment

yeah I have two sets of wheels for all cars

the Q7 has 18"s for winter and 20"s for summer, I guess the summers on the Cayenne are 21"s.
                      Not too sure, quite ignorant in that regard (fits the driver profile I guess!)

Comment

Working...
                      X