Jenni Murray pulls out of Oxford talk amid trans row Jenni Murray pulls out of Oxford talk amid trans row
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 23

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Default Jenni Murray pulls out of Oxford talk amid trans row

The extreme 'Lefties' are starting to wind me up. She was entitled to free speech and opinion so why should that cost her? Her comments below seem quite accurate, a sex change does not provide you with a womb or the means to control hormones that come natural to those with the x chromosome.

Next thing they'll be pushing for changes in the law when people don't use the correct language. PC madness.

BBC Radio 4 host Dame Jenni Murray has pulled out of an Oxford University talk amid a backlash over comments she made about transgender people.

The Woman's Hour presenter was invited to speak at an event called Powerful British Women in History and Society.

But the student union's LGBTQ Campaign said she had made "transphobic comments" in a 2017 newspaper article.

The Oxford University History Society subsequently said she had cancelled her appearance "for personal reasons".

Writing for the Sunday Times in March 2017, Dame Jenni said men who have transitioned should not claim to be "real women".

She added that "it takes more than a sex change and make-up" to "lay claim to womanhood".

'Not transphobic'

The LGBTQ Campaign said her comments contribute to "the harassment, marginalisation, discrimination, and violence" faced by trans people.

A statement said: "The decision to offer her a platform is not apolitical or neutral, especially when her views cause tangible harm to vulnerable members of our society."

It called on the history society to publicly condemn her views or cancel the event.

Dame Jenni, who has been contacted for comment, has previously said she was not "transphobic or anti-trans".

She also said she believed trans people "should be treated with respect" and protected from "bullying and violence".

source: Jenni Murray pulls out of Oxford talk amid trans row - BBC News
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

Hate speech will not be tolerated and anyone found guilty is to be de-platformed and have their career destroyed.
    Because feelings...

Super poster

vwdan is NOT a disguised employee

She was entitled to free speech and opinion so why should that cost her?
    Because people are equally entitled to judge somebody based on that free speech? Free speech is the ability to say things without fear of persecution from the government - it is not freedom to say what you like with no consequence.

That said, I find the trans debate quite morally difficult to navigate.

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Totally this for me as well but the lefties don't help themselves when it comes to trying and alter my thinking though.

Same for vegans but not nearly as morally difficult.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Because people are equally entitled to judge somebody based on that free speech? Free speech is the ability to say things without fear of persecution from the government - it is not freedom to say what you like with no consequence.

They're doing more than exercising their right to free speech, they're trying to demonstrate she broke the law and charge her with a crime because, in their view, she did not recognise their sex. That's crossing a big fat line in my book.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Suffers Fools...Badly!

shaunbhoy is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    They're doing more than exercising their right to free speech, they're trying to demonstrate she broke the law and charge her with a crime because, in their view, she did not recognise their sex. That's crossing a big fat line in my book.
    Ooooooohhhhhh! That's Stoutist that is!!

Nail him up!! Nail some sense into him!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Super poster

Zigenare - scorchio!

You can identify as a ******* viaduct, but that doesn't mean you are one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    Woof woof woof woof!
    Oh, yessss
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Super poster

Zigenare - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Oh, yessss
    Evening!
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Made me larff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hange-age.html

Pensioner, 69, 'who identifies as a 45-year-old' begins legal action to have his age reduced so he can attract more women on Tinder

• Emile Ratelband is a 69-year-old positivity guru famous in the Netherlands
    • He says doctors told him he has a 45-year-old's body and wants to be younger
    • Ratelband is suing his local authority after they refused to amend his age
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.