• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does contracting cause loneliness?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only do 4 days if away from home. Last gig away was a breeze, arrived Mon noon, finished Thurs noon. That was in some ways better than 5 days at a local site. Worked until 8 every night and in at 7. Finished work, pint and a paper, chat to barmaid and hey presto bedtime.

I also started OU 9 years whilst away, but be careful it becomes more additive than tinder, I'm now half way through a Masters. Birbeck do evening classes though, pick a language course, always full of females.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I'm now half way through a Masters
      What's that in Gibbon? Ancient Greek history?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Find a Shed – UK Mens Sheds Association

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          What's that in Gibbon? Ancient Greek history?
          Classical studies, Greek, Latin etc.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

The solution is to live and work in London.

A fighting chance at being available for most of the gigs in the country, and you get to go home each night.

Plus as a contractor you've got a sniff of being able to do so.

YMMV
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              The solution is to live and work in London.

A fighting chance at being available for most of the gigs in the country, and you get to go home each night.

Plus as a contractor you've got a sniff of being able to do so.

YMMV
              And even if your gig of outside of London you have the advantage of traveling against the flow..

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                Or you could just join an adult dating site.
                The local whorehouse is there for lonely contractors

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  Generally my mode of operation is a hotel for the time it takes me to rent a flat
                  I'm thinking of doing that. But I think I'm right in saying that most flats for rent are for minimum periods longer than the typical 3-month contract, so you are running a risk that you won't get extended (actually you are running a risk of early termination in all cases)

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    I think it does cause loneliness. I've lived in our house for 21 years and first started taking contracts away from home about 19 years ago. Since then I've managed 4 years where my contract was commutable from home - and by commutable I'd class a 100 mile round trip as a commute. There are some jobs that crop up locally, but they are scarce and never seem to crop up when you need them - and the rates can be woeful

Generally my mode of operation is a hotel for the time it takes me to rent a flat - that way I can at least have some of my home comforts around me and it's not as miserable as being stuck in a single room with a TV. It also means I can cook for myself.
                    10 years contracting, 10 years no more than about 1hr 20min commute (car/train/walk)

I'm not actually sure I could do the working away from home thing.

That being said, one of the reasons I started contracting was because the consultancy I worked for wanted to send me away from home for a job. So I quit and started contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                      I'm thinking of doing that. But I think I'm right in saying that most flats for rent are for minimum periods longer than the typical 3-month contract, so you are running a risk that you won't get extended (actually you are running a risk of early termination in all cases)
                      That's the risk you take - I almost had my fingers burnt the last time I rented in London. 2 months into the lease for a flat in Victoria Docks the end client ditched the whole project and I was left with a flat with 4 months left to run on the lease. In the end I paid the rent until a new person could be found to take it over and all her advertising costs (which were not much)
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X