• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland Xmas Advert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS This Google search 'Iceland Christmas (ad or advert or advertisement)' generated over 9 million hits with the story prominently covered by the BBC, Sky, The Independent, Guardian etc etc.

And now it's on CUK.

Streisand effect - Wikipedia
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

It's a crap advert. Oh look we took some plastic off our products so that allows us to talk about monkeys.

Ridiculous. What ever happened to the Spice girl who used to do their adverts?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        It's a crap advert. Oh look we took some plastic off our products so that allows us to talk about monkeys.

Ridiculous. What ever happened to the Spice girl who used to do their adverts?
        Didn't mum go to Iceland and come home without a septum?

Comment

Now if you believe in conspiracy theories: British government warned not to back EU palm oil ban so it can keep selling arms to Malaysia | The Independent
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Is this a theory or did it actually happen? fake news or fact? I'll check the BBC...
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              Is this a theory or did it actually happen? fake news or fact? I'll check the BBC...
              Surely a more reliable news source:

Palm oil ban will hit UK | World | News | Express.co.uk

EU rules: Vital contracts could go to France as Palm Oil price rises | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Although Putin got in there first back in 2003:

Putin Signs Deal with Malaysia to Provide Jet Fighters
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Somewhere in Iceland's marketing department the guy who came up with this campaign is laughing his head off at the amount of advertising budget he's saved them:

Iceland Christmas ad: Petition to show it on TV hits 670k - BBC News

Genius.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  The cynic in me has been wondering that too.

But whether they wanted it banned to get more to see it or not, the other side of the story is that it has got the message across about palm oil deforestation to people who might not have known, or who ignored it because it doesn’t impact them or suit the media sources they use.
                  I don't believe for one minute the whole thing wasn't intended to go this way. Iceland know full well what the rules, as if they didn't know it wouldn't make it past Clearcast.

1. Take an existing movie produced by Greenpeace, get permission to slap log on at the end.
                  2. Announce on Twitter it has been "banned" (not exactly true, just not approved by the industry regulator).
                  3. Wait for it to go viral and for social media outrage to go full swing.
                  4. Petition started, everyone talking about it.
                  5. National media picks up story about the campaign.

All I'm waiting for now is for Clearcast to suddenly decide that "on reflection, we've decided it would be OK to show the advert" and its shown on TV, Iceland are vindicated, frozen food for everyone!

Part of me thinks it's pretty unethical to blatantly take advantage of a worthy campaign for the sake of flogging a few frozen turkeys cheesecakes at Christmas and part of me can't help but admire them taking advantage of how easy it is to whip up social media into an outrage frenzy.

Comment

Mum's gone to Iceland.

Because she hates you.

- Jay Rayner.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      2. Announce on Twitter it has been "banned" (not exactly true, just not approved by the industry regulator).
                      It's not a driving ban, just not approved to drive.

It's not a CUK forum ban, just not approved to post.
                      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                      X