• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland Xmas Advert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iceland Xmas Advert

Iceland (the supermarket) have re-branded an animation made by Greenpeace about consumption of palm oil destroying the habitats of orangutans and other creatures. It has been banned by Clearcast (the body responsible for clearing ads on behalf of the four major UK commercial broadcasters) because:

An advertisement contravenes the prohibition on political advertising if it is:

An advertisement which is inserted by or on behalf of a body whose objects are wholly or mainly of a political nature.
    Iceland advert - www.clearcast.co.uk

Lots of people are up in arms about this.

you can watch the ad here

"Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Clearcast might have created a bit of trouble for themselves.
    They're not a regulator. They are a body paid for by a small number of UK broadcasters so that the broadcasters don't need to make a decision, or more importantly don't get their ass sued by the regulator if they get it wrong.

Clearcast need to avoid controversy as if they don't their entire existence is pointless.

Bye bye Clearcast. Turn out the lights when you leave the building.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

wow that is successful advertising most of the news outlets have been talking about it all day.

I don't know if they intended it but next year expect lots of campaigning ads.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        wow that is successful advertising most of the news outlets have been talking about it all day.

I don't know if they intended it...
        The cynic in me has been wondering that too.

But whether they wanted it banned to get more to see it or not, the other side of the story is that it has got the message across about palm oil deforestation to people who might not have known, or who ignored it because it doesn’t impact them or suit the media sources they use.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's political correctness gone mad both to produce and to ban it, followed by triggered snowflakery whining about the ban, whereupon the gammons have got furious about an unspecified element of the whole sorry tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            It's political correctness gone mad both to produce and to ban it, followed by triggered snowflakery whining about the ban, whereupon the gammons have got furious about an unspecified element of the whole sorry tale.
            And ultimately this has driven OG to post another piquant observation reminding us all how offended he feels by the whole affair. Like the big "blouse" he is.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              And ultimately this has driven OG to post another piquant observation reminding us all how offended he feels by the whole affair. Like the big "blouse" he is.

I'm the narrator of the story. Which makes you the fat cretin dribbling on the floor of a Barnstaple 'Spoons

Comment

I'm the narrator of the story. Which in my reality makes you the fat cretin dribbling on the floor of a Barnstaple 'Spoons

FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

"Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Encouragement of rampant consumerism and overconsumption - perfectly fine.

Ads for loan companies charging 1000% APR - to pay for your overconsumption - perfectly fine.

Message about environmental degradation caused by rampant consumerism and overconsumption - ooh no, sorry, that's political.

Got it.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X