• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property DOOM: Westminster council to ban supersize new homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    It's almost as if people buy up property in the in-demand areas as an investment, in a free market capitalist society - imagine that
    Exactly. And it doesn’t work for those who need housing.
    Might work for those who have no interest in humanity but only in profits.

So, while you might think that free market capitalism is the best thing ever, it’s certainly got nothing to do with society or social responsibility.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      You saying I should be defending those with issues on here?
      Most of the time you ban them...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Most of the time you ban them...
        There’s really only one person I ban (repeatedly), and that’s cause he cycles round Swindon.

Very few others.

I don’t even give out many infractions - I’m a bit too tolerant.
        Maybe I should hand out a few more, and watch my PM box fill up with whines.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Exactly. And it doesn’t work for those who need housing.
          Might work for those who have no interest in humanity but only in profits.

So, while you might think that free market capitalism is the best thing ever, it’s certainly got nothing to do with society or social responsibility.
          It's the best thing anyone has come up with so far, (that works in practice) - or do you disagree with that?

Indeed, social responsibility comes from the humans in a 'society'.

Bill Gates got filthy rich (read: interested in profits) and then started up his charitable foundation, to serve society (globally) - for example
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
            They need to ban foreign ownership.
            What about ownership by UK entities?

Or in UK persins trust?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Good idea, but that's down to the councils and the rates.
              Landlords too, if all the recent high profile chain stores going into administration after failing to re-negotiate favourable lease terms are accurate.

Something needs to be done otherwise the whole high street will soon be owned by the Mike Ashley of Sports Direct.

What is Mike Ashley's plan for the High Street?
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
              X