• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trusham, Devon - anyone know it? (Plan A)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I’ll have 20 acres of land. You dig?
    The 1960s called. They want their comment back.

Hopefully you will get a load of "travellers"(what would Zig call them?) on your land.....

Comment

The place I was looking at has over 20 acres of land, I don’t really want more than about 5, so I was contemplating off-loading some (or putting a few holiday/workers cottages on it)
      It would probably be easier to set up a cannabis farm. And I'm not joking.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Trusham, Devon - anyone know it? (Plan A)

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        It would probably be easier to set up a cannabis farm. And I'm not joking.
        : you might think so, I couldn’t possibly comment.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          What Who are you planning on growing burying?
          FTFY

According to this, it looks like a small area of lower tertiary sediments.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is good too:

Soilscapes soil types viewer - National Soil Resources Institute. Cranfield University

Oh dear "Fertility: Very low!" on that Lower Tertiary purple patch
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 14 November 2018, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              This is good too:

Soilscapes soil types viewer - National Soil Resources Institute. Cranfield University

Oh dear "Fertility: Very low!" on that Lower Tertiary purple patch
              Fertility isn't that big an issue, it's about acidy loam/clay soil, if possible over limestone, but over rock would do.

Based on your link, the absolute ideal is the yellow (Soilscape 3), followed by 13, then at a push 18, 17, 6 , 7, 5

3 Shallow lime-rich soils over chalk or limestone
              5 Freely draining lime-rich loamy soils
              6 Freely draining slightly acid loamy soils
              7 Freely draining slightly acid but base-rich soils
              13 Freely draining acid loamy soils over rock
              17 Slowly permeable seasonally wet acid loamy and clayey soils
              18 Slowly permeable seasonally wet slightly acid but base-rich loamy and clayey soils

Comment

What's the plan then? An industrial scale cannabis farm?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  What's the plan then? An industrial scale cannabis farm?
                  Nah, he is just looking for some soft sand to bury his head in.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

: you might think so, I couldn’t possibly comment.
                    Don't forget to account for all the meddling, interfering old busybodies who retire to that part of the world that I'm sure are rubbing their hands together with glee at the thought of bunging a spanner in the works of whatever you have planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                      Don't forget to account for all the meddling, interfering old busybodies who retire to that part of the world that I'm sure are rubbing their hands together with glee at the thought of bunging a spanner in the works of whatever you have planned.
                      Well, it appears there's no mobile phone signal in the area and accidents happen to old people. They might slip on a stone, or fall into a deep hole, etc.

But anyway, back to earlier comments:
                      To keep the process as organic as possible, the use of things like bone meal fertiliser would work. In acidic soil (I'm hoping ph5-6), it's a good source of phosphorus and reasonable source of nitrogen. Finding a local source for bone meal would be great, it would be nice to get the DNA of the area into the produce, and maybe with a hand from a local pensioner, it would really make them part of the process.

Comment

Working...
                      X