• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ewwwww Bed bugs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    No its not, I had them in a PI down at Gatwick one time. They migrate from the bed to the suitcases once they've fed (God know how?) When I got back home went round the back stripped off and put all clothes on a boil wash three times, then bleached out the suitcase. Seemed to have done the trick.

Do you know they bite three times, so you get clumps of bites, they also know when you're in a deep sleep by detecting the C02 levels so you don't feel them.
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not OK. Nowhere in even a large house is OK.

Even from downstairs they will find an occupant in an upstairs bedroom within a day or two by following the faintest concentration gradient of CO2, then closer up by smelling the faintest whiff of ammonia in sweat, then by the vibrations of a heartbeat.

Also, these days they are immune to every household insecticide.

Divan beds are a bedbug's best friend, because there are so many hidden nooks and crannies to hide in. The worst kind of bed for a bedbug is an iron bedstead with all four legs in a bucket of water and no duvets or blankets trailing on the floor. But even that is not foolproof, because they can and will climb the walls onto the ceiling and then drop onto the bed from above!

If you have an infestation, it's very unlikely you'll eliminate it entirely without extensive spraying by a professional, because although most bedbugs will be within a foot or two of the bed, females will instinctively hole up and lay eggs much further away.
    I stand corrected - thanks.

(Actually, maybe that should be I "lie" corrected )
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Silly question, but what should you do? Are they okay if you put them on the floor?
      **** knows. Of course, you're cases get chucked on the plane to come home so its coming into contract with others too. Rife apparently.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        No its not, I had them in a PI down at Gatwick one time. They migrate from the bed to the suitcases once they've fed (God know how?) When I got back home went round the back stripped off and put all clothes on a boil wash three times, then bleached out the suitcase. Seemed to have done the trick.

Do you know they bite three times, so you get clumps of bites, they also know when you're in a deep sleep by detecting the C02 levels so you don't feel them.
        Yep. I am bed bug expert now. There are some things I know now which I wish I didn't.

Comment

Not OK. Nowhere in even a large house is OK.

Even from downstairs they will find an occupant in an upstairs bedroom within a day or two by following the faintest concentration gradient of CO2, then closer up by smelling the faintest whiff of ammonia in sweat, then by the vibrations of a heartbeat.

Also, these days they are immune to every household insecticide.

Divan beds are a bedbug's best friend, because there are so many hidden nooks and crannies to hide in. The worst kind of bed for a bedbug is an iron bedstead with all four legs in a bucket of water and no duvets or blankets trailing on the floor. But even that is not foolproof, because they can and will climb the walls onto the ceiling and then drop onto the bed from above!

If you have an infestation, it's very unlikely you'll eliminate it entirely without extensive spraying by a professional, because although most bedbugs will be within a foot or two of the bed, females will instinctively hole up and lay eggs much further away.
          Yep. Divan bed had them all inside. I guess thats it - plenty of space inside.
          Its our spare bed (where I end up half the time because either A) princess PC has piled in the middle and is kicking me or B) Mrs PC is moaning about snoring) and we were considering gettting new one. Lets just say decision made .Mrs PC is still freaking mind and throwing out every pillow in the house and quilt. Only found in one bedroom.

Stuff you can but off amazon = crap. Sprayed on directly to a live one and it just had a little swim and walked off.

The guy today had a sealed overall, breathing mask, goggle, gloves. Cant go in the rooms now for at least 5 hours. He said undiluted a spoonful of the stuff will kill you.
          Last edited by psychocandy; 16 November 2018, 15:14.

Comment

Years ago, I had an infestation in some lodgings, after buying a couple of hardback books at a market.

A couple of the little feckers had hidden in the spines of the books, and before a noticed anything amiss there were at least couple of dozen!

Without spraying, the only way to kill them all and their eggs in a house is to turn the central heating up full blast and have nobody living in the house for a couple of months.
            Needs to be 130F to kill them so not too high. I guess if you lived in Florida it'd be easy - open the blinds, shut door and turn AC off and it'd be 130F within hours.

Comment

Of course, Mrs PC is not telling anyone because people think its because you've got a dirty house. Not the case, because its like head lice I think.

Noticed a lot of the companies advertised as "unmarked" van. Guess people don't like having a van out front saying "Dirty mingers house cleaners" or something.

She already wants the guy to come back for a 2nd treatment just in case....

Oh yeh. £200 this cost me - which seems to be going rate. £80 if hes got to come back which seems fair. Rentokil wanted £1000 and had 5 visits planned regardkess. I guess big name brand etc can charge what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Oh yeh. £200 this cost me

Yeah, but were you able to expense it?

If you can prove that you got the bed bugs from the Thistle at Heathrow, you could be in luck!
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If you can prove that you got the bed bugs from the Thistle at Heathrow, you could be in luck!
                  Interestingly, I thought things like this were covered on home insurance. Its not. Things like wasps nest etc might be but bed bugs are considered "maintenance".

Also, its a bit of a postcode lottery too as to whether the council will treat. I live about 1/4 mile from the border of Caerphilly borough yet in Newport. In turn, about 5 miles from Cardiffs border.

Caerphilly council - bed bug treatment free of charge.
                  Cardiff - Set fee of £200
                  Newport - No service but heres a list for you.

Saying that everyone seems to be mega busy so I do wonder what sort of company the council retains for its free service because you know what councils are like wanting a bargain. I get the impression with the council they;re only going to retain third parties who are not busy and will do for a pittance.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

He got a crisis loan?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      And no I am not a minger.... :-)

Seems to be a bit of a spate in the uk at the moment. Been getting bitten but never seen anything. Until the other day.

Got professional in now today. £300.
                      Glad to hear the social are still doing hardship loans.

Comment

Working...
                      X