• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ewwwww Bed bugs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ewwwww Bed bugs

And no I am not a minger.... :-)

Seems to be a bit of a spate in the uk at the moment. Been getting bitten but never seen anything. Until the other day.

Got professional in now today. £300. Well worth it. (Although saying that I got a few quotes and Rentokil wanted £1000).

Just be warned - first question all these companies ask is - have you been abroad recently and left suitcases in the bedroom?

Florida 2 months ago. Like a lot of people we come home, chuck suitcases on spare bed.

Certainly an eyeopener. Mrs PC is freaking a bit. And I can't even tell little princess PC because I dont think 5 year olds react very well to that sort of news....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I hoover my bed every couple of months. No idea if it works but loathe to stop, just in case.

Comment

Blast with the steam cleaner

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Just be warned - first question all these companies ask is - have you been abroad recently and left suitcases in the bedroom?

Florida 2 months ago. Like a lot of people we come home, chuck suitcases on spare bed.
        Silly question, but what should you do? Are they okay if you put them on the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Silly question, but what should you do? Are they okay if you put them on the floor?
          If there's a suitcase rack, put them there. Basically, not on the bed or anywhere the bed clothes might be put (although the floor away from he bed is probably OK)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You mean these cuties?

Not sure who I feel most sorry for. You or the poor bed bugs.

Last edited by northernladuk; 16 November 2018, 11:13.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I hoover my bed every couple of months. No idea if it works but loathe to stop, just in case.
              I thought that was just to get rid of the evidence?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                If there's a suitcase rack, put them there. Basically, not on the bed or anywhere the bed clothes might be put (although the floor away from he bed is probably OK)
                No its not, I had them in a PI down at Gatwick one time. They migrate from the bed to the suitcases once they've fed (God know how?) When I got back home went round the back stripped off and put all clothes on a boil wash three times, then bleached out the suitcase. Seemed to have done the trick.

Do you know they bite three times, so you get clumps of bites, they also know when you're in a deep sleep by detecting the C02 levels so you don't feel them.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Not OK. Nowhere in even a large house is OK.

Even from downstairs they will find an occupant in an upstairs bedroom within a day or two by following the faintest concentration gradient of CO2, then closer up by smelling the faintest whiff of ammonia in sweat, then by the vibrations of a heartbeat.

Also, these days they are immune to every household insecticide.

Divan beds are a bedbug's best friend, because there are so many hidden nooks and crannies to hide in. The worst kind of bed for a bedbug is an iron bedstead with all four legs in a bucket of water and no duvets or blankets trailing on the floor. But even that is not foolproof, because they can and will climb the walls onto the ceiling and then drop onto the bed from above!

If you have an infestation, it's very unlikely you'll eliminate it entirely without extensive spraying by a professional, because although most bedbugs will be within a foot or two of the bed, females will instinctively hole up and lay eggs much further away.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    .. They migrate from the bed to the suitcases once they've fed (God know how?) ...
                    Years ago, I had an infestation in some lodgings, after buying a couple of hardback books at a market.

A couple of the little feckers had hidden in the spines of the books, and before a noticed anything amiss there were at least couple of dozen!

Without spraying, the only way to kill them all and their eggs in a house is to turn the central heating up full blast and have nobody living in the house for a couple of months.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X