• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lonesome This Christmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Sorry to hear this BB

why not try

Singles Winter Sun & Beach Holidays : Solo Groups, Travel Deals - Solitair

What you need is a Xmas shag!

This is such a bloke forum.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      Anyone ever done Christmas on their own?

This is my first one since my 15 year marriage ended.

Rest of my family, except my brother, are either dead or on no speakers.

So options are:

1) Spend it with brother and sister in law. Usually ends in tears or me retreating to garden shed with 6 pack.

2) Find somewhere sunny where they don't do Christmas. Somewhere possibly Muslim where I won't get decapitated.

3) Get all the normal stuff in, batten down the hatches and eat / drink myself into oblivion for a couple of days.

No 3 sound like most stress free option but how did it ever come to this 😣
      Merry Christmas to you whatever you do.

Have an adventure. Maybe a city break in Morocco.

Comment

Bugger.

Try a skiing chalet holiday over Christmas. There have often been singles when we’ve done it and a very enjoyable time is had by all.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          Sorry to hear this BB

why not try

Singles Winter Sun & Beach Holidays : Solo Groups, Travel Deals - Solitair

What you need is a Xmas shag! Worked for me 20 years ago. Came back from Falklands in mid december to find wife had new boyfriend! Xmas day was tulip, no access to kids etc. But I was only thirty and just partied, after ten years of marriage I was amazed at the number of divorced/separated women who just wanted no strings sex over the Xmas period. Certainly cheered me up and annoyed the ex no end as I gave them my old number, asking my ex to kindly pass the messages on. I was back in barracks with no phone and wasn't really expecting alot of calls for return visits; I was booked up until March
          Alternatively, destroying Carthage is nice any time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            I've just clicked this and I've just realised how bad it looks in my history. Hope I don't have a heart attack in the next 30 seconds
            stay away from xhamster then!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dating website thingies can work. Never found a new love (or any nudgy winky darn it!!!) after losing the missus but been spending lot of time with lady I met on one a few years back. We go on holiday every year.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Try to imagine a house that's not a home
                Try to imagine a christmas all alone
                That's where I'll be
                Since you left me

My tears would melt the snow
                What can I do
                Without you
                I've got no place, no place to go

It'll be lonely this christmas
                Without you to hold
                Lonely and cold
                It'll be cold so cold
                Without you to hold
                This christmas

Each time I remember the day you went away
                And how I would listen to things you have to say
                I just break down, as I look around
                And the only things I see
                Are emptiness and loneliness
                And an unlit christmas Tree

Without you to hold
                Lonely and cold
                It'll be cold so cold
                Without you to hold
                This christmas

You remember last year, when you and I were together
                We never thought there'd be an end
                And I remember looking at you then
                And I remember thinking that christmas must have been made
                for us
                Cause darlin' this is the time that you really need love
                When it means so very very much

Without you to hold
                Lonely and cold
                It'll be cold so cold
                Without you to hold
                This christmas

Merry christmas darlin', wherever you are
                Seriously though, mtfu and book yourself on a holiday, in the words of another song...

"Don't let the bitch see you cryin'"

Oh and if you do hook up over the festive season, be careful, they're not just for Christmas and do have a tendency to boil your bunny on boxing day!
                Last edited by Zigenare; 19 November 2018, 07:49.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Sad thread indeed.

Scooter: It's not 2000, people don't pay to meet people now. Tinder, or better still, Bumble. Bumble is mostly professionals and most aren't just after a quick tumble in the bumble, but rather to meet someone decent.

I second the charity work - I've done it for years and your initial assumptions of "losers, druggies" will vanish quickly. Met a CEO who lost his home, wife in a car crash, then his job. Couldn't get another. My first thoughts were "this person is seriously mentally unstable", but I erred on the side of truth and reason - then I googled him when I got home. He wasn't lying after all. Most people just need a help up but life is complicated; placing your trust in someone you love can often result in betrayal. Most of us are closer to the streets than we realise. It really could be us. Give it a try, honestly, you'll be completely surprised at the type of people who end up 'in the tulip'.

Final comment: Life is short. It's never too late to build bridges. Don't bother boozing all Christmas and surpressing your feelings. Try to rebuild relationships with family and relatives. Don't do it after a six-pack on Boxing Day, do it now. The longer you leave it the harder it can be, but it'll be worth it. Accepting how others are is important, as none of us can understand the stupid self-compromising decisions some of our loved ones choose. That's life.

Ideally, do all 3 and start enjoying life. Life is about the connections you have with people, not about what alcohol you're drinking, an upgrade to triple glazing and what car is in the driveway.

Comment

Anyone ever done Christmas on their own?

This is my first one since my 15 year marriage ended.

Rest of my family, except my brother, are either dead or on no speakers.

So options are:

1) Spend it with brother and sister in law. Usually ends in tears or me retreating to garden shed with 6 pack.

2) Find somewhere sunny where they don't do Christmas. Somewhere possibly Muslim where I won't get decapitated.

3) Get all the normal stuff in, batten down the hatches and eat / drink myself into oblivion for a couple of days.

No 3 sound like most stress free option but how did it ever come to this 😣

Including my other post above, have you considered therapy/counseling? Perhaps you have difficulty processing and talking about issues of the past. If you have a counselor/therapist you don't get on with, ditch them and find another. Must as with dating, it takes a while to find the right one.
                    Last edited by contractorinatractor; 19 November 2018, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                      Tinder, or better still, Bumble. Bumble is mostly professionals and most aren't just after a quick tumble in the bumble, but rather to meet someone decent.
                      Urgh - Bumbl - lots of ladies who think they are entrepreneurs and professionals looking for someone 10 years younger who must be rich, successful, well-travelled, beach bod, etc.

I chose Tinder and it worked out great. Been in a new relationship for >1 year now

Go on a singles holiday. I went with JustYou. These singles hols are mostly middle-aged women. The ones I met were mostly bonkers (in a nice British eccentric way). Little risk of a bunk up but terrific fun! I'm a bit cheesed off I only got to go on one of these before I met my new GF.

I almost did Christmas alone. Lunchtime visit to the pub followed by dinner for one and a box set, sounded good, but I decided against for fear of getting maudling and pissed on my own (this is never good whoever you are). Lucky for me I am on speakers with my my family and I did lunch there then to a mate's (and his missues) for more booze and talking bollox until late.

Back to you though: singles holiday or cruise. I'm envious! Have fun.

EDIT: On balance, singles holiday, because there everyone is in the same position.

Comment

Working...
                      X