• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lonesome This Christmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lonesome This Christmas

Anyone ever done Christmas on their own?

This is my first one since my 15 year marriage ended.

Rest of my family, except my brother, are either dead or on no speakers.

So options are:

1) Spend it with brother and sister in law. Usually ends in tears or me retreating to garden shed with 6 pack.

2) Find somewhere sunny where they don't do Christmas. Somewhere possibly Muslim where I won't get decapitated.

3) Get all the normal stuff in, batten down the hatches and eat / drink myself into oblivion for a couple of days.

No 3 sound like most stress free option but how did it ever come to this 😣

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Anyone ever done Christmas on their own?

This is my first one since my 15 year marriage ended.

Rest of my family, except my brother, are either dead or on no speakers.

So options are:

1) Spend it with brother and sister in law. Usually ends in tears or me retreating to garden shed with 6 pack.

2) Find somewhere sunny where they don't do Christmas. Somewhere possibly Muslim where I won't get decapitated.

3) Get all the normal stuff in, batten down the hatches and eat / drink myself into oblivion for a couple of days.

No 3 sound like most stress free option but how did it ever come to this 😣
    Get yourself off on a decent cruise, get a deal with Celebrity including the drinks package, upgrade to premium drinks and hang out at the posh Martini bar every evening

Comment

Sorry to hear this BB

why not try

Singles Winter Sun & Beach Holidays : Solo Groups, Travel Deals - Solitair

What you need is a Xmas shag! Worked for me 20 years ago. Came back from Falklands in mid december to find wife had new boyfriend! Xmas day was tulip, no access to kids etc. But I was only thirty and just partied, after ten years of marriage I was amazed at the number of divorced/separated women who just wanted no strings sex over the Xmas period. Certainly cheered me up and annoyed the ex no end as I gave them my old number, asking my ex to kindly pass the messages on. I was back in barracks with no phone and wasn't really expecting alot of calls for return visits; I was booked up until March
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Oof sorry to hear that. I like the cruise/holiday ideas above - it's probably the route I'd take.

What about just having lunch with your Brother and then going and doing something else - whether that be alone, or maybe volunteer somewhere etc

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          Sorry to hear this BB

why not try

What you need is a Xmas shag! Worked for me 20 years ago. Came back from Falklands in mid december to find wife had new boyfriend! Xmas day was tulip, no access to kids etc. But I was only thirty and just partied, after ten years of marriage I was amazed at the number of divorced/separated women who just wanted no strings sex over the Xmas period. Certainly cheered me up and annoyed the ex no end as I gave them my old number, asking my ex to kindly pass the messages on. I was back in barracks with no phone and wasn't really expecting alot of calls for return visits; I was booked up until March
          I've just clicked this and I've just realised how bad it looks in my history. Hope I don't have a heart attack in the next 30 seconds

Comment

I have done a few Christmasses on my own, by choice, and I really liked it. I got in all my favourite foods and cocktail ingredients, lined up all the films/telly I wanted to watch and, on Christmas Day itself, went into central London for a nice walk as there's no public transport and the streets are really quiet. Lots of pubs open to break up the walk.

It depends on where you are located but there's always something going on that you can join in with. A friend of mine once volunteered with something like the Samaritans (it wasn't them but of a similar ilk), to take calls from people who just needed someone to talk to over the period. She found it really rewarding. Or there's always soup kitchens etc. who would be grateful for a few hours help.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              A friend of mine once volunteered with something like the Samaritans (it wasn't them but of a similar ilk), to take calls from people who just needed someone to talk to over the period. She found it really rewarding. Or there's always soup kitchens etc. who would be grateful for a few hours help.
              A friend of mine does Crisis at Christmas: This Christmas, support people out of homelessness | Crisis | Together we will end homelessness

She could go to her parents, other family members, etc, but she sees it as a time to do something helpful for someone else.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I married late in life and used to go to Thailand for Christmas. Sun and sleeping by the pool in a 5* hotel makes you forget everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  Sorry to hear this BB

why not try

Sadly I'm no longer in my 30s either . That may have to wait until the holiday I'm planning in Jan :

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  Get yourself off on a decent cruise, get a deal with Celebrity including the drinks package, upgrade to premium drinks and hang out at the posh Martini bar every evening
                  Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Oof sorry to hear that. I like the cruise/holiday ideas above - it's probably the route I'd take.

What about just having lunch with your Brother and then going and doing something else - whether that be alone, or maybe volunteer somewhere etc
                  A luxury cruise is definitely on my bucket list
                  Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 16 November 2018, 17:19.

Comment

It might be time to activate that subscription you've been putting off for some time now:

adultfriendfinder.com
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X