• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lonesome This Christmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is being on your own at christmas any different from, say, feb 15th??
    and why is it a problem?
    i spend a fair bit of my time alone, wholly by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      Why is being on your own at christmas any different from, say, feb 15th??
      and why is it a problem?
      i spend a fair bit of my time alone, wholly by choice.
      Feb 15th is my birthday

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        Why is being on your own at christmas any different from, say, feb 15th?? and why is it a problem? ..
        Presumably in practice because someone on their own at Christmas feels that everyone else is visiting their family and having a generally sociable time.

To some extent, although probably not as much as the lonely people imagine, that is true. But having a sociable time with the in laws doesn't always equate to having a good time!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There's many people who would rather spend Christmas with friends rather than family, and if you have good friends who understand your circumstances, you could try asking some of them if you can join them.
          But it's reliant on you having good friends that you are honest with. Some might tell you to get on your bike, but others might welcome you into their home.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

this is an interesting thread which presents a view on life which I have yet to experience

the responses in the main seem very helpful

actually the cruises, and singles holidays sound like fun

I have a friend/colleague who goes to Crete alone every September for two weeks of peace and quiet, and he's married with two children

over here on the continent, gentlemen's weekends seem much more popular than in the UK, where a group of old friends who also happen to be husbands and fathers go away a few times a year for a gentlemen's weekend

all the best and good luck

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              this is an interesting thread which presents a view on life which I have yet to experience

I have a friend/colleague who goes to Crete alone every September for two weeks of peace and quiet, and he's married with two children

over here on the continent, gentlemen's weekends seem much more popular than in the UK, where a group of old friends who also happen to be husbands and fathers go away a few times a year for a gentlemen's weekend

Milan.
              Perhaps it was "Gentlemen's Weekends" that got him in trouble in the first instance.

Or maybe it's all complete bollocks.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                Including my other post above, have you considered therapy/counseling? Perhaps you have difficulty processing and talking about issues of the past. If you have a counselor/therapist you don't get on with, ditch them and find another. Must as with dating, it takes a while to find the right one.
                I did briefly after the bust up and it was helpful.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I chose Tinder and it worked out great. Been in a new relationship for >1 year now .

Back to you though: singles holiday or cruise. I'm envious! Have fun.

EDIT: On balance, singles holiday, because there everyone is in the same position.
                Glad it worked out

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.
                Yep, cruise or US road trip in January is the plan. Weather will be crap but sometimes you can't beat the open road. Chicago to New Orleans looking good...

Comment

Actually, thinking about it, the biggest barrier from a good life to a great life is a wife!!
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    Actually, thinking about it, the biggest barrier from a good life to a great life is a wife!!
                    Hope the wives of some on here don't ever look into CUK!
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                      Don't I know it!

Comment

Working...
                      X