Lonesome This Christmas Lonesome This Christmas
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1

    Banned

    Big Blue Plymouth is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Lonesome This Christmas

    Anyone ever done Christmas on their own?

    This is my first one since my 15 year marriage ended.

    Rest of my family, except my brother, are either dead or on no speakers.

    So options are:

    1) Spend it with brother and sister in law. Usually ends in tears or me retreating to garden shed with 6 pack.

    2) Find somewhere sunny where they don't do Christmas. Somewhere possibly Muslim where I won't get decapitated.

    3) Get all the normal stuff in, batten down the hatches and eat / drink myself into oblivion for a couple of days.

    No 3 sound like most stress free option but how did it ever come to this 😣

  2. #2

    More time posting than coding

    tazdevil has more data than eek

    tazdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Anyone ever done Christmas on their own?

    This is my first one since my 15 year marriage ended.

    Rest of my family, except my brother, are either dead or on no speakers.

    So options are:

    1) Spend it with brother and sister in law. Usually ends in tears or me retreating to garden shed with 6 pack.

    2) Find somewhere sunny where they don't do Christmas. Somewhere possibly Muslim where I won't get decapitated.

    3) Get all the normal stuff in, batten down the hatches and eat / drink myself into oblivion for a couple of days.

    No 3 sound like most stress free option but how did it ever come to this 😣
    Get yourself off on a decent cruise, get a deal with Celebrity including the drinks package, upgrade to premium drinks and hang out at the posh Martini bar every evening

  3. #3

    Super poster

    Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

    Gibbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,238

    Default

    Sorry to hear this BB

    why not try

    Singles Winter Sun & Beach Holidays : Solo Groups, Travel Deals - Solitair

    What you need is a Xmas shag! Worked for me 20 years ago. Came back from Falklands in mid december to find wife had new boyfriend! Xmas day was tulip, no access to kids etc. But I was only thirty and just partied, after ten years of marriage I was amazed at the number of divorced/separated women who just wanted no strings sex over the Xmas period. Certainly cheered me up and annoyed the ex no end as I gave them my old number, asking my ex to kindly pass the messages on. I was back in barracks with no phone and wasn't really expecting alot of calls for return visits; I was booked up until March
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

  4. #4

    Super poster

    vwdan is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Oof sorry to hear that. I like the cruise/holiday ideas above - it's probably the route I'd take.

    What about just having lunch with your Brother and then going and doing something else - whether that be alone, or maybe volunteer somewhere etc

  5. #5

    Super poster

    vwdan is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    Sorry to hear this BB

    why not try

    Singles Winter Sun & Beach Holidays : Solo Groups, Travel Deals - Solitair

    What you need is a Xmas shag! Worked for me 20 years ago. Came back from Falklands in mid december to find wife had new boyfriend! Xmas day was tulip, no access to kids etc. But I was only thirty and just partied, after ten years of marriage I was amazed at the number of divorced/separated women who just wanted no strings sex over the Xmas period. Certainly cheered me up and annoyed the ex no end as I gave them my old number, asking my ex to kindly pass the messages on. I was back in barracks with no phone and wasn't really expecting alot of calls for return visits; I was booked up until March
    I've just clicked this and I've just realised how bad it looks in my history. Hope I don't have a heart attack in the next 30 seconds

  6. #6

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,822

    Default

    I have done a few Christmasses on my own, by choice, and I really liked it. I got in all my favourite foods and cocktail ingredients, lined up all the films/telly I wanted to watch and, on Christmas Day itself, went into central London for a nice walk as there's no public transport and the streets are really quiet. Lots of pubs open to break up the walk.

    It depends on where you are located but there's always something going on that you can join in with. A friend of mine once volunteered with something like the Samaritans (it wasn't them but of a similar ilk), to take calls from people who just needed someone to talk to over the period. She found it really rewarding. Or there's always soup kitchens etc. who would be grateful for a few hours help.

  7. #7

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    A friend of mine once volunteered with something like the Samaritans (it wasn't them but of a similar ilk), to take calls from people who just needed someone to talk to over the period. She found it really rewarding. Or there's always soup kitchens etc. who would be grateful for a few hours help.
    A friend of mine does Crisis at Christmas: This Christmas, support people out of homelessness | Crisis | Together we will end homelessness

    She could go to her parents, other family members, etc, but she sees it as a time to do something helpful for someone else.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

    Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning

    TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

    TwoWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    919

    Default

    I married late in life and used to go to Thailand for Christmas. Sun and sleeping by the pool in a 5* hotel makes you forget everything.

  9. #9

    Banned

    Big Blue Plymouth is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    Sorry to hear this BB

    why not try

    Singles Winter Sun & Beach Holidays : Solo Groups, Travel Deals - Solitair

    What you need is a Xmas shag! Worked for me 20 years ago. Came back from Falklands in mid december to find wife had new boyfriend! Xmas day was tulip, no access to kids etc. But I was only thirty and just partied, after ten years of marriage I was amazed at the number of divorced/separated women who just wanted no strings sex over the Xmas period. Certainly cheered me up and annoyed the ex no end as I gave them my old number, asking my ex to kindly pass the messages on. I was back in barracks with no phone and wasn't really expecting alot of calls for return visits; I was booked up until March


    Sadly I'm no longer in my 30s either . That may have to wait until the holiday I'm planning in Jan :

    Quote Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
    Get yourself off on a decent cruise, get a deal with Celebrity including the drinks package, upgrade to premium drinks and hang out at the posh Martini bar every evening
    Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Oof sorry to hear that. I like the cruise/holiday ideas above - it's probably the route I'd take.

    What about just having lunch with your Brother and then going and doing something else - whether that be alone, or maybe volunteer somewhere etc
    A luxury cruise is definitely on my bucket list
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 16th November 2018 at 17:19.

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,689

    Default

    It might be time to activate that subscription you've been putting off for some time now:

    adultfriendfinder.com
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •