• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can a non-IR35 non-domiciled contractor to a UK client bill the client from an offsho

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I’m not sure how you think you can be a non-dom if you live here.
    You prove that you're only in the UK temporarily and intend to return 'home' (i.e. you retain your main residence overseas). Non-doms who have been here long enough have to pay a huge fee to uk.gov for the non-dom privilege, £30k a year if you have been here for 7 of the last 9 years.

However, it has no benefits in this scenario, because it is about not paying tax on foreign earnings. Contracting for a UK company means that your foreign company will still be liable for UK corporation tax anyway (so no benefits to paying into an offshore bank account, the corp tax remains due), and what yourco pays you will have been earned in the UK, and so therefore UK tax is due, even if you are a non-dom. Even if your offshore company pays you into your offshore bank from its own offshore bank. Tax is due on where it is earned, not where the money is paid.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Stedek97 View Post
      I am a contractor to a UK client
      You're already offshore, contracting (providing services) to a UK-based client through an offshore company? OK.

and am considering moving to live in the UK. My contracts are outside IR35 and in the UK I would be non-domiciled for tax purposes.
      You may be. Your company would not be (no concept of domiciled/non-domiciled for companies, they can be resident or non-resident).

Could I legally have an offshore company bill the client and have payments made to an offshore account
      Yes. And, according to your first sentence, you already do? There's nothing legally to stop offshore billing or payments, though agencies and UK-based companies engaging contractors do not tend to like it and will frequently refuse to deal with you unless both you and your company are based in the UK. But you've already said that you are a contractor to a UK client, so this is already happening, right?

then only pay UK income tax on that income which I remit to the UK?
      No, you are mixing up personal and company income. You personally will (subject to non-dom rules) only pay UK income tax on income that you "remit", including anything you spend on credit cards, etc for living expenses. And you may also need to pay the annual charge. HMRC helpfully asks you to contact them to discuss your circumstances so that they can advise in more detail:

Tax on foreign income: 'Non-domiciled' residents - GOV.UK

Your company may pay full UK income tax on any income earned here, but the rules and requirements are complex and depend on management and control and which jurisdiction your company is established in. You should engage an accountant or tax lawyer.

Using an Offshore Company | Offshore Formations 24.7

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I’m not sure how you think you can be a non-dom if you live here.
        That bit's actually quite easy, in the right circumstances.

Your domicile’s usually the country your father considered his permanent home when you were born.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          To get around this you will have to physically leave the UK every time you want to get the company to do anything, such as pay a salary, pay tax, complete accounts, etc.
          Which can all be done in a single day once a month. No - that's not a way around it.

In a nutshell:
          Originally posted by chopper View Post
          Contracting for a UK company means that your foreign company will still be liable for UK corporation tax anyway (so no benefits to paying into an offshore bank account, the corp tax remains due), and what yourco pays you will have been earned in the UK, and so therefore UK tax is due, even if you are a non-dom. Even if your offshore company pays you into your offshore bank from its own offshore bank. Tax is due on where it is earned, not where the money is paid.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Which can all be done in a single day once a month. No - that's not a way around it.

In a nutshell:
            I'm quoting what a friend told me, who is a tax partner in one of the big 4 accountancy firms.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
              My first name is Sheikh. How do I do it?
              You need to offer the UK a favourable oil trading deal, and agree to equip your entire air force with UK supplied jets and weapons. They'll let you pay whatever tax you want to pay.

This advice is free, but if saves you a fortune, and you feel so inclined, I wouldn't say no to a new Lambo.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I'm quoting what a friend told me, who is a tax partner in one of the big 4 accountancy firms.
                Well, either you didn't really understand what he was saying, he didn't understand what you were asking, or he's crap at his job.

Based on your previous form, I'm going for the first option.

Appeal to Authority
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Who owns and runs the (from a UK perspective) offshore company? If it is you, then it is likely that the HMRC will deem the company to be a UK domiciled company despite its overseas origins, because you are running it while being physically located in the UK - the company's management is in the UK.

To get around this you will have to physically leave the UK every time you want to get the company to do anything, such as pay a salary, pay tax, complete accounts, etc.
                  If that were the case everyone could set up offshore companies and then fly over 3 times a year to do the paper work.It won't work.

If you are doing work in the UK, your company is obliged to register in the UK. It will be considered to have premises in the UK even though it is the office of the client. The only exception is if you are working for up to 6 months for a non-UK company on some project and you are invoicing the foreign company and they are not then invoicing the UK client directly for your services, i.e. acting as an intermediary.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
                    My first name is Sheikh. How do I do it?

Yerh MahanI?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Yerh MahanI?
                      nah, - dedripsoff

Comment

Working...
                      X