• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else have to spend hours reviewing "pull requests"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Replace "agile" and "distibuted VCS" with some of the trendy lefty activist keywords... (E.g. "inclusive" and "trans wimmin's officer")

Tulip - agile has been taken over by millenial snowflakes.
    Well reeled in, though I fear that was too easy.

Is there a Godwin’s Law for “millennial snowflakes”?

Comment

Pulling in a scrum will get you penalised.

Scrums are about getting just over half the team together to collectively attempt to control and move forward towards the goal. When a successful scrum is completed, the rest of the team can be involved in going forward.

You can pull in a maul if you have your back to the opposition, Maro Itoje is a good example of this, he is frequently in the centre of a maul bouncing up and down. It's a legal move, as an attempt to disrupt the opposition's push, while hopefully causing the oppo to drop - in which case they get penalised for collapsing the maul (so it's not really in the spirit of the game)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Anyone else have to spend hours reviewing "pull requests"?
        Not disputing Dim, but why in the World would anyone have to review a pull request? No code changes have been made at that stage. Surely it's the code to be pushed that needs reviewing

It's like that quote from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid "No one wants to rob us going _down_ the mountain. We have no money going _down_ the mountain!"
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Can't see it on here:

Holy carp, it all looks complicated. All the same, I must try and remember some of this bollox in case it comes up in an interview.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Not disputing Dim, but why in the World would anyone have to review a pull request? No code changes have been made at that stage. Surely it's the code to be pushed that needs reviewing

It's like that quote from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid "No one wants to rob us going _down_ the mountain. We have no money going _down_ the mountain!"
            "Pull request" is the GitHub term for what any reasonable person would call a "merge request"; the term has now spread to other places like a nasty cold going around (though the open source GitLab still calls them merge requests).

In other words: X pushes their new code, and that creates a pull request for those changes to be merged into the main codebase. So Y has to review the pull request to see if it can safely be merged.

Comment

Reads Thread

Bloody developers.

Comment

I’m working with an agile team that don’t believe in a test system. You push your code and hey presto it’s on production.

The idea is that if there is a bug it’s self evident and you can fix it straight away. Can you get more agile than tulipting your pants every time you push some code.

The problem with this approach is the customer becomes the tester. They see the bugs and report them. They are the ones faced with the frustration of things not working.

I read the agile manifesto and I can’t see anything about this kind of crap. When did testing become old fashioned?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I’m working with an agile team that don’t believe in a test system. You push your code and hey presto it’s on production.

The idea is that if there is a bug it’s self evident and you can fix it straight away. Can you get more agile than tulipting your pants every time you push some code.

The problem with this approach is the customer becomes the tester. They see the bugs and report them. They are the ones faced with the frustration of things not working.

I read the agile manifesto and I can’t see anything about this kind of crap. When did testing become old fashioned?
                  It didn't. In fact, the same people who wrote the Agile Manifesto were also the leading advocates for TDD when that was a newfangled thing, and also advocate CI and CD, to both of which testing is central.

What they have there isn't Agile; it's Idiocy.

And to get legalistic on their arses, one of the twelve Principles Behind the Agile Manifesto is that "Working software is the primary measure of progress." The word "working" is kind of important there

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    It didn't. In fact, the same people who wrote the Agile Manifesto were also the leading advocates for TDD when that was a newfangled thing, and also advocate CI and CD, to both of which testing is central.

What they have there isn't Agile; it's Idiocy.

And to get legalistic on their arses, one of the twelve Principles Behind the Agile Manifesto is that "Working software is the primary measure of progress." The word "working" is kind of important there
                    I agree, I think devs take the abstract concept of agile and just go with it. If you are releasing code faster then it’s agile. But there is no measure of this or quality of the code.

I feel like a grumpy old man sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      I feel like a grumpy old man sometimes.
                      That's what your wife says.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X