Loan schemes ruled ‘abusive’ Loan schemes ruled ‘abusive’
Posts 1 to 3 of 3

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Default Loan schemes ruled ‘abusive’

Andrew Robins explains why two recent GAAR rulings are important for users and promoters of loan schemes designed to be used by contractors and employees.

What is GAAR?

In July 2013, the government introduced a new ‘general anti-abuse rule’ (GAAR) to attack ‘abusive’ tax arrangements aiming to take advantage of loopholes in the tax law by, for example, inserting artificial steps into a commercial arrangement. The GAAR only applies to actions undertaken after its commencement.

GAAR opinions

The GAAR panel has published two rulings affecting arrangements concerning loans provided in place of salary, which were designed to get around the ‘disguised remuneration’ rules. In both cases, the taxpayer (tax not payer - AtW’s comment) lost

Loan schemes ruled ‘abusive’ | AccountingWEB

Oh dear - I thought loan schemes were legal?

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Andrew Robins explains why two recent GAAR rulings are important for users and promoters of loan schemes designed to be used by contractors and employees.

What is GAAR?

In July 2013, the government introduced a new ‘general anti-abuse rule’ (GAAR) to attack ‘abusive’ tax arrangements aiming to take advantage of loopholes in the tax law by, for example, inserting artificial steps into a commercial arrangement. The GAAR only applies to actions undertaken after its commencement.

GAAR opinions

The GAAR panel has published two rulings affecting arrangements concerning loans provided in place of salary, which were designed to get around the ‘disguised remuneration’ rules. In both cases, the taxpayer (tax not payer - AtW’s comment) lost

Loan schemes ruled ‘abusive’ | AccountingWEB

Oh dear - I thought loan schemes were legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Contractor Among Contractors

GreenMirror 's job has never been outsourced

HMRC were using APN's before that ruling. So HMRC are no better off.

Everyone expected the loan schemes to be made illegal. Prospectively.....