• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fortnite - suitable age to play

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortnite - suitable age to play

What do people on the forum think a suitable age for the game Fortnite on the X-Box is?
    I know it says PEGI 12+, however, girlfriends son is 8 and most of his school mates are allowed to play it.

At present, we've said a blanket no because of the age advice and the ability of adults to chat to kids within the game and (I don't really have time to play games), it seems
    like it could be a problem for impressionable kids..

I'm not in favour of letting him on it at all but....

Do any of you people allow play supervised/unsupervised for your youngsters?
    Any advice appreciated...

My 10 and 8 year olds plays it, but we don't have a headset and it's only ever on the main TV in the family room, it's still my responsibility to supervise them.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

what SM said

My daughter is now 12 and she has been playing it for about a year.

Also on the main tv - do not allow tv's in bedrooms - not great for homework/sleeping etc etc

We do have a headset - and so far my daughter has never met anyone who was rude or offensive - never mind anything more sinister.

Having said all that - at 8 would they not be better with minecraft etc - both my daughters played that from the age of about 8 until - well Fortnite really!

Comment

It's going to be very difficult to stop anyone 8 and up playing it. It's so popular you are going to make the kids the odd ones out by saying no. If they can't do all the dances at that age it's going to lead to social exclusion. Very weird but it is what it is.

As long as you follow standard good parenting guidelines there is nothing wrong with the game itself. I've played it and never seen anything untoward. There are plenty of guidelines about how to safe, even from the police.

Shame you can't get them in to minecraft as already mentioned though. Much more immersive and interesting.

One thing maybe to watch out for though. My mates 11 year old is a bit of a late starter to it and keeps getting banned for getting annoyed and upset. It's been out that long everyone is really good so being young and new means your gonna get PWND..... a lot!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's going to be very difficult to stop anyone 8 and up playing it. It's so popular you are going to make the kids the odd ones out by saying no. If they can't do all the dances at that age it's going to lead to social exclusion. Very weird but it is what it is.

As long as you follow standard good parenting guidelines there is nothing wrong with the game itself. I've played it and never seen anything untoward. There are plenty of guidelines about how to safe, even from the police.

Shame you can't get them in to minecraft as already mentioned though. Much more immersive and interesting.

One thing maybe to watch out for though. My mates 11 year old is a bit of a late starter to it and keeps getting banned for getting annoyed and upset. It's been out that long everyone is really good so being young and new means your gonna get PWND..... a lot!

Ok - thanks.. That sounds reasonable.
          He plays Minecraft to death, however, you raise an excellent point.. The last thing I want is for him to get picked on because he's not doing what his mates are allowed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarledcontractor View Post
            What do people on the forum think a suitable age for the game Fortnite on the X-Box is?
            I know it says PEGI 12+, however, girlfriends son is 8 and most of his school mates are allowed to play it.

At present, we've said a blanket no because of the age advice and the ability of adults to chat to kids within the game and (I don't really have time to play games), it seems
            like it could be a problem for impressionable kids..

I'm not in favour of letting him on it at all but....

Do any of you people allow play supervised/unsupervised for your youngsters?
            Any advice appreciated...
            Definitely a lot of under 12's are playing it so hard to exclude if others are playing.
            It does become unfortunately very addictive and get kids angry so would put boundaries on playing time.

Comment

Yeah if he has already played minecraft he may not be a complete noob on Fortnite.

My view is let him play but watch/observe him for a while - if possible when he is not 'aware'

and unless you observe anything untoward you should be golden.

Comment

I wish it was only Fortnite and Minecraft I had to worry about when mine were getting in to gaming. My two were pestering me for either Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto back in the day, neither of which are suitable for young uns.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I wish it was only Fortnite and Minecraft I had to worry about when mine were getting in to gaming. My two were pestering me for either Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto back in the day, neither of which are suitable for young uns.
                  You were trying to protect them from seeing car theft, guns, drugs and hookers, but you live in West Yorkshire ??

Were they banned from Bradford and Leeds town centres too then ??

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    You were trying to protect them from seeing car theft, guns, drugs and hookers, but you live in West Yorkshire ??

Were they banned from Bradford and Leeds town centres too then ??

Can't see owt down't pit.

Comment

Working...
                    X