• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any free software for next yer MTD VAT submisson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any free software for next yer MTD VAT submisson

I can see a lot of offerings for £30+ per year.
    It is beyond me why HMRC will make the businesses pay millions per year.
    Any suggestions on free MTD VAT submitter software, for FRS VAT?

FreeAgent is free if you have a NatWest account.

Comment

So you don't have an accountant or use Freeagent? That answers a lot.

Is £30 such a lot to you? Surely you save £1000's from your evasion schemes, £30 is peanuts. Can't you just take it out the cash in hand payments you make to your dog?

But...

MTD for VAT - bridging software for Excel users | AccountingWEB
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. Your accountant will do it for you. That will be included in the fees they charge (which your company pays for, not you personally)
        2. Your company can buy Freeagent or similar software (which your company pays for, not you personally) and do it yourself, it's not too difficult as long as you aren't doing anything dodgy.
        3. You can ask HMRC to increase your tax bill by £250 a year and get free software as part of it. That's not a current offering, but you can always ask.

Why should HMRC develop software just for you when you can already buy it, and most contractors are intelligent enough to pay someone else to do it for them anyway?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          1. Your accountant will do it for you. That will be included in the fees they charge (which your company pays for, not you personally)
          2. Your company can buy Freeagent or similar software (which your company pays for, not you personally) and do it yourself, it's not too difficult as long as you aren't doing anything dodgy.
          3. You can ask HMRC to increase your tax bill by £250 a year and get free software as part of it. That's not a current offering, but you can always ask.

Why should HMRC develop software just for you when you can already buy it, and most contractors are intelligent enough to pay someone else to do it for them anyway?
          I can see flaws in this argument, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            I can see flaws in this argument, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The current bookkeeping offerings don't have a category for cash in hand to pets and don't allow deceased relatives to be entered as employees.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                The current bookkeeping offerings don't have a category for cash in hand to pets

Good job my dog is a Working English Springer Spaniel. See, the name is "working", she's not some elite breed that exists to be politicians (barking all the time) or a show dog, she's from a long line of working dogs.
                She regularly comes to the office with me (sometimes goes to my wife's office as well - might have to see about claiming mileage on that - 1 day a week means the 24 month rule becomes 10 years, eh?)
                She sits in on meetings with me, and sometimes adds more value than the other participants
                She provides a service as a receptionist - if someone comes to the door, she lets me know and welcomes them.
                She is part of health and safety - she keeps my feet warm, reminds me when I need to take a break from staring at the computer and keeps my blood pressure down.

And for all those reasons, I think it's perfectly acceptable for her to be an employee. Minimum wage, of course, and annual performance reviews. But she doesn't have any shares in the company - I'm not mad! It's also good practice to have genuine employees who get no dividends, they know their place.

<mod note>
                Please be advised that this thread has been relocated based on the OP, the subject and his choice of language.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

She's probably got a better grasp of tax legislation that the OP has to be fair.

Comment

A mate of mine register his car in his dogs name (quite legal BTW). He did some interesting letters to private car parking firms, which showed conclusively that they don't bother reading any appeals letters ...

Comment

Working...
                    X