• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Could a retirement mortgage help you stay in YOUR home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought you were contractors?

Who has any sort of mortgage?

Permie off & on for decades but sod all mortgage in a couple of years it will be zero

We are lucky, this is what normal people live through.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
      Will there still be city twinning after Brexit?
      There will in Rutland.

Whitwell claims to be twinned with Paris, France. In 1980, regulars from the pub, the Noel Arms wrote to the then Mayor of Paris, Jacques Chirac proposing the link and with a tight deadline for a response. As no answer arrived from the Mayor's office by the set date, the village unilaterally declared itself to be twinned and erected road signs to that effect. Its population at the 2001 census was 41
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I thought you were contractors?

Who has any sort of mortgage?
        More tax efficient to have one.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          More tax efficient to have one.
          For primary residence not BTL? I'm all ears.

I suppose if you need to withdraw a large dividend to avoid a mortgage it may work out cheaper by remaining under higher rate threshold over a number of years to still pay mortgage off early.

I know someone that every time he got drunk he'd ramble on about how he didn't want to pay off the mortgage as he could get investment interest (post tax) that outperformed his mortgage interest, but that was before 2008 when savings rates and low risk investments were worth looking at in terms of compounding over the typical lifetime of a mortgage. Not sure if the figures still add up without taking a gamble on investment performance and ending up with a shortfall like many with endowment mortgages of yesteryear.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            For primary residence not BTL? I'm all ears..
            All a matter of location. See here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2605865
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X