• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Mumbai....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Mumbai....

Anyone contracted in Mumbai ?

Contractors’ Questions: Which are the 10 most lucrative cities for overseas contracting?

No but what are the living costs? I'd expect food and essentials to be cheap in India but accommodation you'd like to live in within easy commute of work?

Comment

No but I've been at a few clients where I felt like I did.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Mumbai? After 3 months your arsehole will be nothing but a lidless eye, wreathed with flame. Something like so;

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
          Mumbai? After 3 months your arsehole will be nothing but a lidless eye, wreathed with flame. Something like so;

Mumbai, the streets are paved with tulip!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
            No but what are the living costs? I'd expect food and essentials to be cheap in India but accommodation you'd like to live in within easy commute of work?
            To give you an idea, I worked in Calcutta in 1995. For a 4-bed air-conditioned unfurnished apartment in a good area it cost £1400 per month.

However, if you are there without your family (as is generally the case) there are a number of hotels that will work out a lot cheaper.

Just depends how much importance you attach to sanitation etc. Be prepared to spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with "comfort breaks" irrespective of wherever you may lay your head.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              To give you an idea, I worked in Calcutta in 1995. For a 4-bed air-conditioned unfurnished apartment in a good area it cost £1400 per month.

However, if you are there without your family (as is generally the case) there are a number of hotels that will work out a lot cheaper.

Just depends how much importance you attach to sanitation etc. Be prepared to spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with "comfort breaks" irrespective of wherever you may lay your head.

I've been to Calcutta and its a bit of a cesspit and I believe decent property in Bombay is in another league regarding housing costs.

Comment

Survey does not say how rates I. Mumbai compare with those of London

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  I've been to Calcutta and its a bit of a cesspit and I believe decent property in Bombay is in another league regarding housing costs.
                  Yeah, I'd be surprised if Bombay is not significantly more expensive.

We stayed in a block that was called "Sunny Towers", commissioned by a rich Calcutta businessman and cricket fanatic. He named it thus after "Sunil "Sunny" Gavaskar, the famous Indian cricketer who was the beneficiary of the top floor apartment.

Nice place but horrendously overpriced.

He wanted 3 months rent upfront, in Rupees at a time when the rupee was worth about 50 to the Pound and 50 was also the highest denomination note.

My driver near kacked himself when he saw me walking back across 6 lanes of traffic to the car from the Bank with armfuls of the dosh.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Having to work with TechM muppets at arms length is bad enough. I wouldn't want to be any closer.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X