Full time vs contract - when to consider Full time vs contract - when to consider
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

Still gathering requirements...

Skag has no reputation

Default Full time vs contract - when to consider

Has anyone here given up contracting in favour of a perm job? And if so why did you and what happened thereafter? e.g. did you go perm, then back to contracting, if so how long after and why?

How much would you consider for a perm job, all other being equal? Say if you were on £600 pd. If one uses the calculators by the letter, that equals... many $$, and it's doubtful whether employers would consider all that $$.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Skag View Post
    Has anyone here given up contracting in favour of a perm job? And if so why did you and what happened thereafter? e.g. did you go perm, then back to contracting, if so how long after and why?

How much would you consider for a perm job, all other being equal? Say if you were on £600 pd. If one uses the calculators by the letter, that equals... many $$, and it's doubtful whether employers would consider all that $$.
    Yes, more than once. Perm jobs are a good way to re-skill - just don't get trapped in them, leave after max 2 years.
    If re-skilling is the reason for going perm, salary doesn't matter, I look on it a neccessary evil of investment.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Contractor Among Contractors

CoolCat has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Skag View Post

as long as I get paid enough I dont care how I am paid

Skag has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes, more than once. Perm jobs are a good way to re-skill - just don't get trapped in them, leave after max 2 years.
    If re-skilling is the reason for going perm, salary doesn't matter, I look on it a neccessary evil of investment.
    And by that you mean e.g. if you're a developer, devote some time into start learning something new whilst getting paid, or leverage the existing (new) tech that the perm job offers?

What about career growth?

Skag has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    as long as I get paid enough I dont care how I am paid
    Interesting take. So if you were on £600, you'd be happy to settle for 90k, even if the perm job could offer up to £120k?

Super poster

MyUserName is NOT a disguised employee

I left contracting and went perm. I needed more time at home with the family (to do the nursery run etc.) and I needed to know when I was going to be home. I am still at the same place.

It was a big pay cut but worth it.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Double Godlike!

malvolio - scorchio!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

It depends more than a little on what you do. If you're a techie, you can't progress as a contractor without reskilling and, more importantly, able to offer experience in the new tech. If you're something a bit immediately business-related, like project lead, consultancy and the like, you can both keep up to date and get the experience while contracting, so it's less of a hassle.

If you have to go permie to stay a contractor (if you see what I mean!) then you do it and the money doesn't matter, if only because if you don't you won't be earning anything in a year or two.
    Blog? What blog...?

Fingers like lightning

TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

I've been contracting for 25 years and re-skilled on multiple occasions without going perm. It did mean some lowish rates sometimes but that didn't last long and still better that a wage.

It does depend on the field you are in and how hard you are prepared to work. I study in every available moment, my phone is filled with ePub books on tech - it's the only way to survive these days.

RobScott is too good to be a permie

Default Fulltime better for job security , Contracting great but ..

Fulltime better for job security , Contracting great money but it is better to be safe and be INSIDE IR35 . Contractors can demand 20% more now for being INSIDE IR35

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

I went perm in 2000 because there were no decent contracts around, and I was offered a managment job. Did it for 2 years, then got a head of development position in a multinational... got politicked out, went back to techy contracting again in 2005.

This year I got a 50% permie job with a client I've worked with for years. The security director asked me how much it would take for me to go permie with them part time. I replied with a stupidly high figure. He chatted to the CEO that night, and they offered it to me. I should have asked for more... I'm still contracting the other 50%.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...