• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all IPSE Members

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yes but...

IPSEs whole reason for existing would be destroyed if some fantasy board decided to diversify and its members and staff would desert it in their thousands. Why in God's name would anyone want to commit commercial suicide.

And let's be clear, the people charged with preventing that happening have signally failed to prevent the new proposals from being put forward.

So yes, it is a doomsday scenario. There are many reasons these proposed changes may a bad idea but this isn't one of them

It would be nice, as you are so keen on accepting the changes, to hear how you believe they will benefit IPSE and enhance the organisation. I am genuinely keen to hear such an opinion because the only voice I've heard in favour is the Board's.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      It would be nice, as you are so keen on accepting the changes, to hear how you believe they will benefit IPSE and enhance the organisation. I am genuinely keen to hear such an opinion because the only voice I've heard in favour is the Board's.
      OK, let's leave aside potential dangers for now.

The Pros:

1. Directors are elected by the whole membership, not a localised electoral college of largely self-selected people, some of whom appear to be following their own agenda.

2. The Members Forum (or whatever it ends up being called) will be drawn from the whole membership, with support from the centre, and is targeted at the whole UK and the whole freelance community

3. The existing CC has not been hugely communicative, certainly back to the membership and has failed to answer clear questions about why the BoD thinks it is now surplus to requirements. And to be clear, the MF proposal indicates to me that the BoD still value input from the membership, but from a group that is designed to be far more engaged with that membership.

4. The changes put IPSE's governance more closely in line with good practice for such bodies, countering criticism from Whitehall and others that it is still run by amateurs.

The Cons:

1. Yes the BoD can load the NomCom to game the selection of candidates for directorship. Why they would need to do so is another issue altogether

2. Yes, the MF will be selected from people who meet set criteria. However that is a clear statement that the current CC is seen to be neither representative nor of benefit to IPSE.

3. YEs the NomCom has set the directors' stipend at any level it thinks fit. The auditors and external FD may have something to say about that, given IPSE is a not-for-profit organisation.

And FTAOD all of this has been said on the IPSE forums, plus a lot more.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

OK, let's leave aside potential dangers for now.

The Pros:

1. Directors are elected by the whole membership, not a localised electoral college of largely self-selected people, some of whom appear to be following their own agenda.

1) The CC is not self-selected, we are chosen by the membership, you derise a situation in the same sentence in which you compliment the exact same situation.

While at first glance this seems a positive step and the Board will say it is handing control back to the membership, it is actually a retrograde step. The membership already votes for the CC, and in recent years the turn out has been low. In 2018 587 people voted out of a membership that runs into tens of thousands, and all that entailed was reading a personal statement of each candidate.

The last Director elections comprised of a video pitch, face to face hustings and weeks of forum activity where candidates we grilled and probed by members of the CC to ensure those fortunate to be elected were deemed worthy not only the legal responsibility that comes with such a role, but also the duty to the membership to represent their best interests. I am all for members voting for the directors, but until the organisation finds a better way for people to engage, I feel removing the checks and balances that the CC give will be a backwards step.

2. The Members Forum (or whatever it ends up being called) will be drawn from the whole membership, with support from the centre, and is targeted at the whole UK and the whole freelance community
        2) The existing CC is drawn from the whole membership, at the last CC elections we had members of Uber stand, creatives and many other type of freelancers and self-employed.

3. The existing CC has not been hugely communicative, certainly back to the membership and has failed to answer clear questions about why the BoD thinks it is now surplus to requirements. And to be clear, the MF proposal indicates to me that the BoD still value input from the membership, but from a group that is designed to be far more engaged with that membership.
        3) I don't think it is on the CC to explain why the Board thinks it is now surplus to requirements, the the deafening silence from all but the CEO allows people to make up their own minds on how communication between the SLT/BOD/CC currently runs. Whereas the CC have been very vocal (as proven by this very thread and many others) in why we do not support the changes, which has drawn out some members from the shadows to be active again in the discussion.
        4. The changes put IPSE's governance more closely in line with good practice for such bodies, countering criticism from Whitehall and others that it is still run by amateurs.
        4) The work that the CEO and his team have shown IPSE is not run by amateurs, I would hazard a guess those in the corridors of power do not know about the CC, they are more focused on the number of voices we claim to represent. These changes, which as mentioned are not all disagreeable
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          1) The CC is not self-selected, we are chosen by the membership, you derise a situation in the same sentence in which you compliment the exact same situation.

While at first glance this seems a positive step and the Board will say it is handing control back to the membership, it is actually a retrograde step. The membership already votes for the CC, and in recent years the turn out has been low. In 2018 587 people voted out of a membership that runs into tens of thousands, and all that entailed was reading a personal statement of each candidate.

The last Director elections comprised of a video pitch, face to face hustings and weeks of forum activity where candidates we grilled and probed by members of the CC to ensure those fortunate to be elected were deemed worthy not only the legal responsibility that comes with such a role, but also the duty to the membership to represent their best interests. I am all for members voting for the directors, but until the organisation finds a better way for people to engage, I feel removing the checks and balances that the CC give will be a backwards step.
          1. 14 places and 16 candidates is not exactly democracy in action, especially when a fair number of those standing are already in post.

2. Here we go with the "checks and balances" thing. You don't offer any and never have. It's not in your remit, which is to be a point consultation and an electoral college.

3. I've done the director election thing. I was not impressed buy the quality of questioning, nor by the preliminary efforts by the then CC to examine the candidates.

2) The existing CC is drawn from the whole membership, at the last CC elections we had members of Uber stand, creatives and many other type of freelancers and self-employed.
          OK, but how many outside the standard member profile were actually elected? How many of the 20-odd thousand members voted? More than 1%?

To be fair the Members Forum will still be self selecting, from those who are interested enough to volunteer. OK, the BoD will have the final say, but there are people on the existing CC I wouldn't want in there anyway, so that's not exactly a major issue.

3) I don't think it is on the CC to explain why the Board thinks it is now surplus to requirements, the the deafening silence from all but the CEO allows people to make up their own minds on how communication between the SLT/BOD/CC currently runs. Whereas the CC have been very vocal (as proven by this very thread and many others) in why we do not support the changes, which has drawn out some members from the shadows to be active again in the discussion.
          Yes it is. You have made no attempt to understand why you have been sidelined in recent years. To be blunt, your complaints lack credibility

4) The work that the CEO and his team have shown IPSE is not run by amateurs, I would hazard a guess those in the corridors of power do not know about the CC, they are more focused on the number of voices we claim to represent. These changes, which as mentioned are not all disagreeable
          Well you clearly know more than I do. I beg to differ.

Anyway, this is not the forum to discuss these issues in any detail. You haven't been so vocal on the IPSE boards I notice.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

1. 14 places and 16 candidates is not exactly democracy in action, especially when a fair number of those standing are already in post.
            I am an outsider so this is really none of my business. But 16/14 seems wrong. Why do so few members stand? Is it like the CUK meet ups which are cliquey?

Anyway, this is not the forum to discuss these issues in any detail. You haven't been so vocal on the IPSE boards I notice.
            He is too busy Darren Upton spotting.

Seriously, I never understood why this is being discussed on CUK at all. Jolly amusing for those of us who are not members.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
              I am an outsider so this is really none of my business. But 16/14 seems wrong. Why do so few members stand? Is it like the CUK meet ups which are cliquey?

He is too busy Darren Upton spotting.

Seriously, I never understood why this is being discussed on CUK at all. Jolly amusing for those of us who are not members.
              The pre-voting is closed now, so I hope the discussions will close.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                Last time one's valet looked, there were 5 times more contractors on here than independent professionals on there. One assumes, that's why.

Comment

Thread locked as requested.

Comment

Working...
                  X