• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Party

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Party

Hi,

I am new contractor, limited company. This is my first post but I am sure I will become a regular on the forum.

With Christmas approaching I just have a questing about the £150 allowance for annual event.

Can myself and partner simply go out for a meal on Christmas eve and claim this as the Party?
    She does not have anything to do with my limited company.

Can we claim £150 each? Also can I claim VAT back?

Thanks
    Scott

Here we go again. The age old Xmas do questions.

OP. This has been done to death.. Every year in fact believe it or not. Anyone of the methods below will answer your question.

It's very well documented all over the Web because it happens to all of us every year so try googling it.

There a million threads on here about it. In Google type the following and you'll get all the threads.
    Christmas party site:forums.contractoruk.Com

Check the links to the right. It will be mentioned in there somewhere.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 December 2018, 09:45.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scottnib View Post
      Hi,

I am new contractor, limited company. This is my first post but I am sure I will become a regular on the forum.

With Christmas approaching I just have a questing about the £150 allowance for annual event.

Can myself and partner simply go out for a meal on Christmas eve and claim this as the Party?

Thanks
      Scott
      My company secretary lives in the USA, I used to fly out to see him for the AGM and put it on expenses.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        My company secretary lives in the USA, I used to fly out to see him for the AGM and put it on expenses.
        My and my company secretary used to fly to Rome on expenses every Christmas to see the gladiators.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
          Scott
          Not likely, the role of clueless fuqwit is already taken, by sasguru.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Pay for a Prossie. Get here to write out a receipt for £150.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              I think sasguru has a challenger to be fair.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                My and my company secretary used to fly to Rome on expenses every Christmas to see the gladiators.
                Did you expense the in flight spag bol?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  should be for £149.99 to be on the safe side also don't forget to push the envelope on trivial gifts to employees

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
                    Scott
                    It is not the case that you can simply take £150 cash out of the company - it is a tax free exemption rather than an allowance therefore you will need evidence of the expenditure in the form of a receipt, and if the cost exceeds £150 per head (including VAT) then the full amount will be a taxable benefit.

You can take a guest that has nothing to do with the company, therefore you can take your partner and he/she will increase the exemption by another £150 - a total of £300 (inc. VAT) on the event.

Comment

Working...
                    X