• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work life balance and expectations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also depends on where you are in your life.

Do you have kids? How old are they?
    Are you winding down to retirement, or still full of vim and vigour?
    Do you want to go back to contracting and uncertain income, or do you just want a better permie job (I think that's an oxymoron)?

Staying put and stagnating isn't good for you or your employer. It's a poor employer who doesn't recognise this even if you get a relatively easy time of it at work. This is also true for those 'contractors' who stay put with the same client for years and years.

As Cojak said - take control of your own career. If you feel something is missing, do something about it. Ask for training, expect the worst and pay for it yourself - maybe negotiate with management that the time you take off to do the course (depending on its duration) doesn't come out of your holiday entitlement and is paid.

You don't get a career by coasting. That's just a job. A career is made by taking / creating opportunities to expand your knowledge.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 14 December 2018, 09:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      You lack the gravy
      Bisto or home-made?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Bisto or home-made?
        Bum.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          It also depends on where you are in your life.

Do you have kids? How old are they?
          Are you winding down to retirement, or still full of vim and vigour?
          Do you want to go back to contracting and uncertain income, or do you just want a better permie job (I think that's an oxymoron)?

Staying put and stagnating isn't good for you or your employer. It's a poor employer who doesn't recognise this even if you get a relatively easy time of it at work. This is also true for those 'contractors' who stay put with the same client for years and years.

As Cojak said - take control of your own career. If you feel something is missing, do something about it. Ask for training, expect the worst and pay for it yourself - maybe negotiate with management that the time you take off to do the course (depending on its duration) doesn't come out of your holiday entitlement and is paid.

You don't get a career by coasting. That's just a job. A career is made by taking / creating opportunities to expand your knowledge.
          Hi
          Life wise, I'm almost 40, no kids yet,but hopefully soon, so a cushy job suits me for the near future. In addition my wife earns significantly more than me, so financially there's no major incentive to climb the greasy pole and my wife prefers that we both have easier lives.

At the moment, I try the methods already suggested to improve my opportunities - volunteering for work which requires marketable skills, speaking at a conference/public, etc.

I think I'll be in a job rather than a career for a while as the career effort doesn't seem worthwhile, plus the management path seems to be filled with a lot of hot air (e.g. travelling 9 hours for 2 hours of meeting or starting projects that you know will fail just so that the team "can be seen to be doing something")

Comment

Be well happy if my mrs earned more than me... Tidy.

No jokes about sliding down my greasy pole from me though ;-)
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 13122018 View Post
              Hi
              Life wise, I'm almost 40, no kids yet,but hopefully soon, so a cushy job suits me for the near future. In addition my wife earns significantly more than me, so financially there's no major incentive to climb the greasy pole and my wife prefers that we both have easier lives.

At the moment, I try the methods already suggested to improve my opportunities - volunteering for work which requires marketable skills, speaking at a conference/public, etc.

I think I'll be in a job rather than a career for a while as the career effort doesn't seem worthwhile, plus the management path seems to be filled with a lot of hot air (e.g. travelling 9 hours for 2 hours of meeting or starting projects that you know will fail just so that the team "can be seen to be doing something")
              Knock her up, become a househusband. Sorted.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Or don't bother and become a project manager.
                Yeah, I've worked with a few that have done that. Most of them didn't get a second gig...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X