• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work life balance and expectations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work life balance and expectations

Hi,
    I work as an IT engineer in the North West in a medium sized organisation on 50k a year with a good pension. My work is somewhat varied as I have a reasonable amount of freedom around projects that I get involved in. I left the contracting market a few years ago after the Mrs wanted to move and I took my job as:
    - It's a 25 minute commute from home
    - It pays reasonably well for the area
    - Good pension
    - I can work 2-3 days a week from home (generally there's very little travel requirements)
    - Low stress and pressure, this is in part due to the fact that I'm good at what I do, but also as the organisation is a bit disorganised, I only need to work at the level of my peers to do a reasonable job (in some cases, not difficult)
    - Flexible hours, e.g. 8 to 4, 10 to 6, etc without the need to do overtime, on calls or formally log hours

The downsides to the role are:
    - No formal training/courses available
    - Takes forever for senior management to make a decision or change the status quo
    - Slow to adopt new technology
    - Lack of career progression
    - A significant culture of following the highest paid opinion

From what I've seen, most of the roles that would be a step up career wise involve a significant increase in hours, stress and travel, which when you consider the 45% tax on the salary increase just isn't worthwhile. I'm curious on readers' opinion if my assumption on moving up the career ladder is in line with their experiences?

A Career??

Take control of your own career, don’t rely on any company to sort it out for you - they’ll do what right for them, which means not spending any money in your case.

Take the courses you want to take and apply for a role away from your fur-lined rut.

That’s what a contractor would do and a permie should do.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've heard of worse ways to live a life. Best of luck to you.

Why coasting at work is the best thing for your career, health and happiness | Money | The Guardian

Comment

rare roast beef and horseradish is always my favourite role

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          rare roast beef and horseradish is always my favourite role
          You lack the gravitas.

Comment

All fine until the company suddenly folds or lets you go without warning. Then you suddenly find that after taking it easy for so long nobody wants to employ you.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              All fine until the company suddenly folds or lets you go without warning. Then you suddenly find that after taking it easy for so long nobody wants to employ you.
              Fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                WTWS.
                If you find yourself in the job market for any reason, you will be unemployable because you had an easy life in your last gig. Learn a new skill every few months, IT is rapidly changing and you cannot afford to stay still or you risk becoming obsolete.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by 13122018 View Post
                  Hi,
                  I work as an IT engineer in the North West in a medium sized organisation on 50k a year with a good pension. My work is somewhat varied as I have a reasonable amount of freedom around projects that I get involved in. I left the contracting market a few years ago after the Mrs wanted to move and I took my job as:
                  - It's a 25 minute commute from home
                  - It pays reasonably well for the area
                  - Good pension
                  - I can work 2-3 days a week from home (generally there's very little travel requirements)
                  - Low stress and pressure, this is in part due to the fact that I'm good at what I do, but also as the organisation is a bit disorganised, I only need to work at the level of my peers to do a reasonable job (in some cases, not difficult)
                  - Flexible hours, e.g. 8 to 4, 10 to 6, etc without the need to do overtime, on calls or formally log hours

The downsides to the role are:
                  - No formal training/courses available
                  - Takes forever for senior management to make a decision or change the status quo
                  - Slow to adopt new technology
                  - Lack of career progression
                  - A significant culture of following the highest paid opinion

From what I've seen, most of the roles that would be a step up career wise involve a significant increase in hours, stress and travel, which when you consider the 45% tax on the salary increase just isn't worthwhile. I'm curious on readers' opinion if my assumption on moving up the career ladder is in line with their experiences?
                  Are you happy?
                  Do you feel secure?

Do you like films about Gladiators?
                  Do you bleed your own or do you pay a bleeder?
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    WTWS.
                    If you find yourself in the job market for any reason, you will be unemployable because you had an easy life in your last gig. Learn a new skill every few months, IT is rapidly changing and you cannot afford to stay still or you risk becoming obsolete.
                    Or don't bother and become a project manager.

Comment

Working...
                    X