• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP’s demand smart motorway rollout to be stopped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    But as everyone is crawling along below 60 there is no reason not to drive in the first 2 as they are nice and clear and undertaking is fine in queuing traffic. The smart hard shoulder is great if your only jumping down one junction.
    Undertaking is fine and legal - end of.
    The status or speed of the traffic being undertaken is irrelevant. However, the onus and responsibility for completing the undertaking manoeuvre safely lies with the person performing the undertaking maneuverer.
    Smart motorways do generally work in high traffic density situations as they bring all the traffic down to the speed of the lowest common denominator, i.e. articulated lorries, and therefore there should be no reason for anyone to change lanes, except when entering or leaving the motorway. Where the problems do occur is down to lack of forward planning by drivers who wait until the last possible moment to get into the correct lane to leave the motorway, causing either themselves to brake (having a knock-on effect) or the traffic lanes they are trying to enter to brake (having a knock-on effect). Simple planning, forward thinking, and an acknowledgement of the rule Mirror, Signal, maneuverer IF SAFE TO DO SO, would go a long way on UKJ motorways.

Comment

I like that everyone hogs the outside 2 lanes. Leaves the others clear for me.

What I object to is doing so many junctions at once. M6 a joke at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        Undertaking is fine and legal - end of.
        The status or speed of the traffic being undertaken is irrelevant. However, the onus and responsibility for completing the undertaking manoeuvre safely lies with the person performing the undertaking maneuverer.
        Smart motorways do generally work in high traffic density situations as they bring all the traffic down to the speed of the lowest common denominator, i.e. articulated lorries, and therefore there should be no reason for anyone to change lanes, except when entering or leaving the motorway. Where the problems do occur is down to lack of forward planning by drivers who wait until the last possible moment to get into the correct lane to leave the motorway, causing either themselves to brake (having a knock-on effect) or the traffic lanes they are trying to enter to brake (having a knock-on effect). Simple planning, forward thinking, and an acknowledgement of the rule Mirror, Signal, maneuverer IF SAFE TO DO SO, would go a long way on UKJ motorways.
        Undertaking is legal unless it is deemed careless.

About 10% of drivers are totally clueless and should not be on the roads. More regular testing is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post

About 10% of drivers are totally clueless and should not be on the roads. More regular testing is needed.
          Absolutely. Maybe I should have put this bit in bold in my original post

However, the onus and responsibility for completing the undertaking manoeuvre safely lies with the person performing the undertaking maneuverer.

Comment

The best general rule about undertaking is do not do it unless you are in 'slow' moving traffic and it is not really feasible to go round them.

Classic example of this is coming out of Manchester down the 62 - 50 miles an hour to pretty much the junction with the M6 all three lanes of traffic just move at the speed they move at.

Obviously you always get some prick desperate to get 200 yards further down the road by weaving in and out of traffic but there you go.

Comment

The M42 was one of the first motorways to go smart. Took 15 minutes off an hour commute, it's now considered a nightmare and acceptable reason for being late when the 4th lane is not open.

Yes there are idiots on the road but they are still idiots regardless of the motorway being smart. I'm sure I saw a stat that said that the smart motorways are actually safer.

A reference to the M42 study:

Smart motorways | Improvements and major road projects
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post

[QUOTE=original PM;2608570]The best general rule about undertaking is flash your lights at the pr*ck in front of you whilst giving the a hand signal of your choice. Then wind your drivers window down, boot it and undertake whilst waving the number of fingers of your choice at the driver of the other vehicle indicating just how many minutes they have been holding you up for. When in front of said vehicle , now test the reaction time of said driver to assess his alertness and suitability to be on the road, thus making them aware that they may need to take a break. Now boot it once more to close the gap to the car in front to a minimum and repeat.
                QUOTE]

FTFY

Comment

Used to work on a project where "some" of the work was roadside (comms equipment etc). I never did (being more office server focused) but everyone had to do the training.

Sitting in your car on the hard shoulder whether smart motorway or not is the dullest thing you can do. Get out and get behind the barriers whether its pissing down or not.

In fact, unless you're in a proper area, it was a disciplinary offence if staff got caught spending more than 15 MINUTES stopped on the hard shoulder for any reason whatsoever.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Smart Motorways. Smart Meters. Anyone else spot the glaring similarity here?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Smart Motorways. Smart Meters. Anyone else spot the glaring similarity here?
                      Armadillo?
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X