Gatwick Chaos Gatwick Chaos
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 113

Thread: Gatwick Chaos

More time posting than coding

tazdevil has more data than eek

Default Gatwick Chaos

OK who's been droning over Gatwick? And why aren't these things detected and taken down, there appears to be plenty of anti drone technology available.

Dirty spekulant

Jog On - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
    OK who's been droning over Gatwick? And why aren't these things detected and taken down, there appears to be plenty of anti drone technology available.
    Ex clientco of mine - anti-drone measures are in the pipeline... The challenge is anti-drone technology that doesn't interfere with aircraft and air traffic control.

People will do it and there's not much to stop it. Bit like shining laser pens at pilots coming in to land.

They have people with guns patrolling the airfield with guns to shoot birds
    Whatever...

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

I would guess using a drone jammer in an airport might not be the smartest move.

Only a matter of time before one gets maliciously used to bring down a plane.

More time posting than coding

tazdevil has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    I would guess using a drone jammer in an airport might not be the smartest move.

Only a matter of time before one gets maliciously used to bring down a plane.
    I bet the Israelis have the appropriate technology and as this must be a problem common to all airports it must be possible to deploy a workable solution. I bet the military airports have something that works

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

Should get a squadron of hunter seeker drones. Teenagers sitting on deck chairs playing fortnite until the siren goes off. Be like 1940 all over again.

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
    It's the secret EUSSR army, war gaming hard Brexit scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Contractor Among Contractors

Bean 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    Should get a squadron of hunter seeker drones. Teenagers sitting on deck chairs playing fortnite until the siren goes off. Be like 1940 all over again.
    There’s already drone racing...why not just get some of the best racers (read chasers), with a chaser drone adjusted to deliver an electric current to fry the mischievous drone causing the problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Super poster

Hobosapien - scorchio!

Surely consumer drones use a frequency for remote control that is not interfering with airports or aircraft so just jam that frequency around the airfield border.

Also, if planes are built to withstand bird strikes then surely a small plastic drone ain't going to do as much damage as a frozen turkey or whatever they use to test such things.

I therefore feel this is not a technical problem but more of typical governing/management slowness to implement workable solutions in practice. This incident should at least speed that up somewhat.

Strange that flights were suspended for a while at around 3am but when re-started at around 4am the drones came back, suggesting maliciousness or indeed terrorism.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Banned

BR14 is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's the secret EUSSR army, war gaming hard Brexit scenarios.
    more fecking thread pollution.

Super poster

Hobosapien - scorchio!

Update: Situation still ongoing and flights disrupted while runway closed until at least 11am.

Gatwick Airport: Drone sightings cause delays - BBC News

Drone seen at 7am, ongoing since 9pm yesterday, so not just some kids or local numpties, too persistent.

Police still not tracked culprit(s) down. Shows a lack of preparedness for such an incident to not be resolved yet, giving others incentive to try similar.

Updated update: Around 10,000 passengers directly affected and other advised not to travel as planes grounded. Those opportunist taxi drivers charging e.g. £600 for a trip from Cardiff to London are going to do well out of the chaos as planes get diverted all over the place and people desperate to get to London for crimbo.
    Last edited by Hobosapien; 20th December 2018 at 10:34.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.