Posts 11 to 19 of 19

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Do the same job for less - sounds like a winner to me

Super poster

Whorty - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    But is that argument still true when contracting as we know it, is likely to be different in April 2020. It may be better to go permie now rather than later especially if you already know the people you are working for...

As for my view point - it's up to you but it may be worth finding somewhere to sit for a year or 2 while the dust settles down...
    I'm the complete opposite .... big changes like Brexit trigger projects. Projects need contractors. I'm happy to be one of those contractors Permie jobs where I work go for less than half the day rate for a similar contract role - even inside IR35 you'd be quids in going contract. Yes, there are some benefits of perm but are these of interest to contractors?
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

bored now

eek is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    I'm the complete opposite .... big changes like Brexit trigger projects. Projects need contractors. I'm happy to be one of those contractors Permie jobs where I work go for less than half the day rate for a similar contract role - even inside IR35 you'd be quids in going contract. Yes, there are some benefits of perm but are these of interest to contractors?
    But the OP is not talking about a contract paying twice the perm rate he's talking about £110k (£125k package) versus £600 a day (say £132k as a contractor) and he hasn't got the child benefit trap at £50k to contend with. So in that case is he really quids in keeping contracting?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Nervous Newbie

lionheart79 has no reputation

But the OP is not talking about a contract paying twice the perm rate he's talking about £110k (£125k package) versus £600 a day (say £132k as a contractor) and he hasn't got the child benefit trap at £50k to contend with. So in that case is he really quids in keeping contracting?
    That's the question I'm wrestling with.
    Unless one is 100% against ever being a permie, there is a grey area where even the most resistant would consider it. The range of responses on here show my offer is the start of a grey area. If the package was 150k, I guess those responses would be a lot more pro permie.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies, good food for thought.
    and thanks also to the resident forum gatekeeper NLUK for acknowledging I wasn't talking b*llocks!

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart79 View Post
    and thanks also to the resident forum gatekeeper NLUK for acknowledging I wasn't talking b*llocks!
    You're still a cockwomble for posting it in General though
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Super poster

Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

Depending on your age if it's a large company with opportunity to make MD in a few years I'd give it a go and see how you get on. If in a couple of years things aren't working out, you then have the option to either go back contracting or jump up the permie ladder somewhere else.

I've been contracting my whole life but if I'd have gone perm 20 years ago the truth is I'd have retired by now. I couldn't be doing with all the permie though.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

More time posting than coding

DeludedKitten is a permanent contractor

I'd think not - take the permie money now, see what the market looks like after IR35 changes get rolled out everywhere (and avoid the rush to permie if everyone is making that move in 2020).

Looks a no brainer to me
    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Still gathering requirements...

RobScott is too good to be a permie

Default What technology you work on please?

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart79 View Post
    That's the question I'm wrestling with.
    Unless one is 100% against ever being a permie, there is a grey area where even the most resistant would consider it. The range of responses on here show my offer is the start of a grey area. If the package was 150k, I guess those responses would be a lot more pro permie.

If you don't mind, can you let us know what technology you are working on for getting such a high rate?

Super poster

Zigenare - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by RobScott View Post
    If you don't mind, can you let us know what technology you are working on for getting such a high rate?
    He milks Unicorns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Given that you refuse to work for Jews, because you believe that they are only out for themselves and that they see gentiles as just there to be used, WGAS what you think.
    You do me old chum, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Churchy says that May Day is a Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg
    Only it is somewhat suspicious that this unsubstantiated claim has been made against the object of Alt-Right antisemitic conspiracy lies.