• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Go / no-go for permie...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Do the same job for less - sounds like a winner to me

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      But is that argument still true when contracting as we know it, is likely to be different in April 2020. It may be better to go permie now rather than later especially if you already know the people you are working for...

As for my view point - it's up to you but it may be worth finding somewhere to sit for a year or 2 while the dust settles down...
      I'm the complete opposite .... big changes like Brexit trigger projects. Projects need contractors. I'm happy to be one of those contractors Permie jobs where I work go for less than half the day rate for a similar contract role - even inside IR35 you'd be quids in going contract. Yes, there are some benefits of perm but are these of interest to contractors?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        I'm the complete opposite .... big changes like Brexit trigger projects. Projects need contractors. I'm happy to be one of those contractors Permie jobs where I work go for less than half the day rate for a similar contract role - even inside IR35 you'd be quids in going contract. Yes, there are some benefits of perm but are these of interest to contractors?
        But the OP is not talking about a contract paying twice the perm rate he's talking about £110k (£125k package) versus £600 a day (say £132k as a contractor) and he hasn't got the child benefit trap at £50k to contend with. So in that case is he really quids in keeping contracting?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

But the OP is not talking about a contract paying twice the perm rate he's talking about £110k (£125k package) versus £600 a day (say £132k as a contractor) and he hasn't got the child benefit trap at £50k to contend with. So in that case is he really quids in keeping contracting?
          That's the question I'm wrestling with.
          Unless one is 100% against ever being a permie, there is a grey area where even the most resistant would consider it. The range of responses on here show my offer is the start of a grey area. If the package was 150k, I guess those responses would be a lot more pro permie.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies, good food for thought.
          and thanks also to the resident forum gatekeeper NLUK for acknowledging I wasn't talking b*llocks!

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart79 View Post
            and thanks also to the resident forum gatekeeper NLUK for acknowledging I wasn't talking b*llocks!
            You're still a cockwomble for posting it in General though
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depending on your age if it's a large company with opportunity to make MD in a few years I'd give it a go and see how you get on. If in a couple of years things aren't working out, you then have the option to either go back contracting or jump up the permie ladder somewhere else.

I've been contracting my whole life but if I'd have gone perm 20 years ago the truth is I'd have retired by now. I couldn't be doing with all the permie though.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I'd think not - take the permie money now, see what the market looks like after IR35 changes get rolled out everywhere (and avoid the rush to permie if everyone is making that move in 2020).

Looks a no brainer to me
                I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

What technology you work on please?

Originally posted by lionheart79 View Post
                  That's the question I'm wrestling with.
                  Unless one is 100% against ever being a permie, there is a grey area where even the most resistant would consider it. The range of responses on here show my offer is the start of a grey area. If the package was 150k, I guess those responses would be a lot more pro permie.

If you don't mind, can you let us know what technology you are working on for getting such a high rate?

Comment

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
                    If you don't mind, can you let us know what technology you are working on for getting such a high rate?
                    He milks Unicorns.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X