• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New shower question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm all for paying a decent wage. I just don't have much of an idea of how long a job like this would take, hence the question. 8 days from my uneducated perspective seems a bit long.
    Is that 8 actual day on site or 8 man-days (as in 2 men 4 days)

Is your chap doing it all, tiling, plumbing & electrics may be done by others on day rates

But as a summary & not having seen the area:

Day 1: clear area & set out, minor BWIC such as core drill for pipe work
    Day 2: install drainage & pipework
    Day 2: form framing & install shower tray & connect
    Day 3: Tiling
    Day 4: Tiling
    Day 5: install & connect pump
    Day 6: grouting of tiles
    Day 7: Make good T&C
    Day 8: Float / unforeseen
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Is your chap doing it all, tiling, plumbing & electrics may be done by others on day rates

Day 8: Float / unforeseen / Mrs woohoo
      FTFY

Comment

Indeed - and there should also be a few hours put aside to go through the wife's panty drawer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I just don't have much of an idea of how long a job like this would take, hence the question. 8 days from my uneducated perspective seems a bit long.
          It's a basement. Tell him that if he completes the job quicker you'll lock him in there dungeon style, until the 8 days are up. That way you'll get your money's worth out of him

Comment

Unless Saniflo have improved in the last few years I would be wary of flushing anything other than pure clean mineral water through it and even then not more than a couple of times a year.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
              It's a basement. Tell him that if he completes the job quicker you'll lock him in there dungeon style, until the 8 days are up. That way you'll get your money's worth out of him
              Busted! You are MF's sockie and I claim my £5 tat voucher.

Comment

But are you a shower or a grower??

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Day 8: Float / unforeseen
                  My chap is a lady. There will be a joiner to build the framework and she will do the rest. The joiner will do a bit of boxing in work also for "free" - she repaired a leak in another toilet. She left the parts cost etc. But I was expecting around 1500.

Looks like 8 days seems reasonable then.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                    Unless Saniflo have improved in the last few years I would be wary of flushing anything other than pure clean mineral water through it and even then not more than a couple of times a year.
                    Yes, the plumber is going to add a trap and filter, so should be able to clean the shower trap out and as a last resort there will be another filter before the Saniflo.

The existing Saniflo pump is showing some strange behaviour and may get that replaced, though the plumber has offered to clean it out and take a look. Her parents have a Saniflo and she isnt a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Indeed - and there should also be a few hours put aside to go through the wife's panty drawer as well.

The plumber is a lady, so im having mixed feelings about your statement.

Comment

Working...
                      X