• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New shower question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I went with the plumbers quote, showed me the cost for materials and said if labour was less would knock the price down. She turns up and gets on with it and seems to take pride. Also, fixed a few other issues around the house, one of the toilets constantly drained. Sink burped when draining. Issue with toilet in the util room, seems to have been fixed with sorting the burbling noise out. Joys of buying a house that was previously rented (minor issues never get reported).

Next project, thermostat makes weird noises, do I replace with a Nest or something cheaper. Can a Nest handle central heating and underfloor heating in the kitchen. Watch out for my next mumsnet type post.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Next project, thermostat makes weird noises, do I replace with a Nest or something cheaper. Can a Nest handle central heating and underfloor heating in the kitchen. Watch out for my next mumsnet type post.
      I have a Nest and a like it, but I'll be blunt, I've not found it particularly revolutionary. It's good, it's a solid piece of kit and the mobile app is great but I found the "cleverness" such as predictive scheduling and the time to heat to be hit and miss. That said, I'd buy another one tomorrow if it broke and I *love* the ability to manage my heating remotely. Nothing better than driving home from a winter holiday and knowing the house is going to be warm.

The Nest can also only do one thing at a time, with the exception of managing hot water and heating together in a conventional hot water tank setup. In terms of heating - one zone or one heat source = one Nest. Whether it supports your UFH at all depends on the system - if it's electric, probably not, if it's water based, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I have a Nest and a like it, but I'll be blunt, I've not found it particularly revolutionary. It's good, it's a solid piece of kit and the mobile app is great but I found the "cleverness" such as predictive scheduling and the time to heat to be hit and miss. That said, I'd buy another one tomorrow if it broke and I *love* the ability to manage my heating remotely. Nothing better than driving home from a winter holiday and knowing the house is going to be warm.

The Nest can also only do one thing at a time, with the exception of managing hot water and heating together in a conventional hot water tank setup. In terms of heating - one zone or one heat source = one Nest. Whether it supports your UFH at all depends on the system - if it's electric, probably not, if it's water based, probably.
        Thanks for that, all good info.

I’m tempted just to get something that works because I’m spending money on new house like no tomorrow. But at the same time I’ve always made the point of buying quality or not buying at all.

Comment

Working...
        X