• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New shower question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New shower question

My mumsnet account is suspended so I'm going to have to ask you lot a plumbing question.

I want to add a shower to a toilet room in the basement, next to the boiler room. Because the room is below ground level we already have a saniflo pump that pumps all water up from the basement to ground level.

So the plumber/joiner has to build the tray and tile the shower and then pipe to a new saniflo pump in the next room. The shower is going to be used for washing down the dogs after walks so it will get dirty and the plumber wants to keep the mud etc away from the existing pump. Extra filters will be added just to stop crap getting through to the new pump and the traps will be easily accessible so we can clean ourselves.

The plumber has quoted just under 3k, estimated time of 8 days, so labour at 1818 (includes a joiner).

This sounds a bit high to me. What do my fellow CUK think? Anyone, done anything similar?

Hose the dogs down outside, Pulp Fiction style.

Comment

Accounting for the joiner you're probably paying £200 / man day. Is there anyone who can do it better and cheaper? Would you do it for that money?

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
        Accounting for the joiner you're probably paying £200 / man day. Is there anyone who can do it better and cheaper? Would you do it for that money?
        That's the same rule of thumb I apply when getting quotes or friends and family ask me what is reasonable. Quite funny when some of them say they got quoted 80 quid for a job and they expect the guy to be there all day. Guess with us on day rates it's second nature to understand that element.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          My mumsnet account is suspended
          What did you say this time?
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

£100 Shower tray
            £300 Saniflow pump
            £100 tiles
            £100 filters / framing
            £100 misc fittings

Leaves £2300 for 8 days = £287 / day

Seems reasonable to me for domestic work
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              They don't suffer fools as well as we do
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                I'm all for paying a decent wage. I just don't have much of an idea of how long a job like this would take, hence the question. 8 days from my uneducated perspective seems a bit long.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  I just pointed out that most of them seem bitter and twisted and wonder if they lost weight would their moods brighten up. Apparently, women are sensitive about their weight.

Only joking, I just said I was from CUK and they banned me, apparently, something to do with forum holidays

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I just pointed out that most of them seem bitter and twisted and wonder if they lost weight would their moods brighten up. Apparently, women are sensitive about their weight.

Only joking, I just said I was from CUK and they banned me, apparently, something to do with forum holidays
                    They allowed MF back in because he makes them feel slim.

Comment

Working...
                    X