• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missing Post

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlimeInTheIceMachine View Post
    Just wanted recs for an Android alternative to GM that's all.

Or maybe someone can tell me how to make GM repeat the current direction?
    Feel free to translate that lot into something we over 18s can understand.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Feel free to translate that lot into something we over 18s can understand.
      Google Maps

Comment

I thought GM was something to do with a car company. (General Motors, for the teenagers). You don't know you're old until the acronyms change without you realising...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          I thought GM was something to do with a car company. (General Motors, for the teenagers). You don't know you're old until the acronyms change without you realising...
          Whippersnapper.

Greater Mongolia - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by SlimeInTheIceMachine View Post
            Just wanted recs for an Android alternative to GM that's all.

Or maybe someone can tell me how to make GM repeat the current direction?
            I actually find the topic of UK street maps quite interesting, and my big problem with Google Maps is that minor streets are coloured far too lightly so much so they are often practically invisible.

I think there are quite a few alternatives, e.g. http://streetmap.co.uk/ but these compare and how far they are available on Android I've no idea.

edit: The display string in that URL keeps being changed, which is very annoying! Maybe something to do with the autosave feature
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 11 January 2019, 12:51.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

As I said in my OP, what I find particularly irksome are instructions to walk in a particular direction e.g. head South West on Smathers Street.

Now I know for all intents and purposes that blue pointer thingy is supposed to work like a compass and point north but I always find it has a mind of its own and spins round like a top.

Maybe a quick alert to indicate that you're headed the wrong way would be useful?

Anyhow, I'm now the proud owner of a watch with a built in compass which seems to work way better than GM's effort.

Comment

How is this sockie allowed to stay?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I always use a Chinese spoon compass. They work better before dipping in the chutney.

Comment

Working...
                  X