Fricking M$ Fricking M$
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Fricking M$

More time posting than coding

tazdevil has more data than eek

Default Fricking M$

My development box had an update yesterday (anyone notice that you can't shut down now without accepting the update!) and today a number of downloads via IE were baulked, just zip files. Turns out M$ decided to switch all those nice safety features I have switched off on and their smart screen thing decided it was dangerous to download a zip file so it wouldn't let me So its now switched off again but why do they assume they know what you want and how you want to use your machine and need to look over all the URL's you visit. They can fook off

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
    My development box had an update yesterday (anyone notice that you can't shut down now without accepting the update!) and today a number of downloads via IE were baulked, just zip files. Turns out M$ decided to switch all those nice safety features I have switched off on and their smart screen thing decided it was dangerous to download a zip file so it wouldn't let me So its now switched off again but why do they assume they know what you want and how you want to use your machine and need to look over all the URL's you visit. They can fook off
    You CAN shut down, - just power off.
    I agree with all the rest though. Disabling spyware is the biggest part of a windoze install now
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Is there no fairly up-to-date alternative to Windows using a suitable flavour of Linux and Wine or something? Mono perhaps?

There was ten or fifteen years ago, but I haven't kept up with all that since, and it may be Windows 10 has stolen a march on would-be Windows emulators (most likely intentionally).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Super poster

woohoo is a fount of knowledge

You could use Chrome instead.

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    You should use Chrome instead.
    FTFY
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Should post faster

contractorinatractor is a permanent contractor

I found it easy to bring up the kids using Mint Linux, using WINE to emulate if really required, so far only adobe needs emulation for ebook DRM stuff.

It's honestly a breeze and just seems to 'work' on most hardware, even macbooks. If you use ublock origin within a web browser and configure the firewall then it's rather hard to get pwned when compared with the ease of windows being wrecked. Of course phishing scams can still work, but that's a different type of education genre for the kids. You can run Mint Linux from a USB drive to see if you like it first prior to installing or dual-booting, which is also a breeze. It's a flavour of ubuntu but, in my opinion, is much more recognisable and seems to work far better with external displays and projects when compared to ubuntu.

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    I found it easy to bring up the kids using Mint Linux
    I could see it being a good discipline tool now spanking is forbidden. "Eat your carrots or you'll have to use Linux", that sort of thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Some things in Moderation

cojak is a fount of knowledge

So that's what's happened!

I've just bought an application and I can't install it anymore! I've recently downloaded other software and didn't have a problem (I thought it was Malware Bytes).

I haven't yet got around to investigating the problem so thanks for the heads-up.

More time posting than coding

tazdevil has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    You could use Chrome instead.
    I do use Chrome as my main browser and Brave when accessing ad laden sites but IE (pre Edge) for some business stuff because it happens to work better for some of that stuff and I need to ensure my web stuff works in IE because clients use it. Same for Windows both to ensure stuff works in that environment but my preferred server platform is Linux which I'm running on my development box under VMware but the main OS is Windows 10 just to stay current on that platform and lots of tools and business apps work better there but I can see the day coming when I'll dump it, probably when they insist on you using your MS account rather than a local one

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth - scorchio!

Ordnance survey option on Bing maps not working. Grumble.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)