• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeez - central heating nightmare!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Am I right in thinking that combis are out of fashion again now? They were all the rage but the new systems I've seen are back to tanked hot water, albeit pressurised rather than using header tanks.

I'm pretty amazed that a combi CAN heat hot water on demand from near freezing, when you think about the energy required. Especially since hot water is heated via a heat exchanger not directly by the boiler.
    Interesting question. I was surprised when I saw my mates new build has a tank. I'm guessing with better technology around insulation the tank loses much more heat than the old copper tank with a blanket around it. I also wonder if they`ve specifically model'd it around a standard 2.4 kids family with working parents and school age kids, which those houses are designed for rather than needing hot water randomly throughout the day.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      I guess combis no good for the mansions you lot live in?

Push the boat out and get a 30kw combi. That'll be enough to heat your two-up-two-down.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That's why assumed laminate when he said wood floor. Many poor people say the same.

For someone that thinks giving up all your dignity and respect is worth 75 quid a week I'm surprised he's spent christ knows what on an immersion system for 18 years.
        Ha ha dignity and respect? I'd do a lot for £75 ;-)

Immersion was just used whilst boiler buggered this last week...
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You are giving advice to a bloke from Wales. The only wood they have is what they get when they are shearing the sheep.
          Got some wind in it now just thinking of it.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Ha ha dignity and respect? I'd do a lot for £75 ;-)
            Twice.

Comment

British Gas boilers aint cheap. Robbing dogs.....

Luckily, mate works for them so get 25% discount. Which makes the price decent now.
              And two years IFC. Better in my pocket than theirs.

On the plus side, got a new hot water tank for free yesterday from SSE. Today SSE are repairing the existing boiler. (which will probabbly be going in the bin in a few weeks).

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove
                Judging by the quote I received for replacing the LateStrangeloveParents' less than ideal Ideal boiler, they do like to gold plate their quotes.

Unfortunately the new owners seem to have ended up with Yet Another less than ideal Ideal boiler.

But there you go.
                Ideal is what I have now. New build house 20 years ago so, judging by every other thing in the house, cheapest tulipe Barratt could get hold of.

Looks like the original install put tank in back to front too. Then it looks like they couldnt be arsed to move it so connected hot to cold input and cold to hot input. Quality.

Comment

Working...
                X